MacDonalds of Largie

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

MacDonalds of Largie

Postby Lachlan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:20 pm

Does anyone know the stories about:-

1) the Brounie(s) at Largie Castle
2) The curse of the MacDonalds of Largie (eldest sons reaching 21 or not !)
3) The Largie rock

I know bits about them but maybe someone could expand/add detail ?
Lachlan
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: MacDonalds of Largie

Postby kintyre forum news 4 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:07 pm

Did you know that Flora Mc Donald stayed for a year in the house of the McDonalds at Largie. Info to help you source this can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=22&p=113464#p113464
kintyre forum news 4
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: MacDonalds of Largie

Postby Lachlan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:49 pm

I didn't know that. :)

The stories I'm thinking about and my memory is now very shaky on this:-

The Brounie of Largie - a maid (perhaps a new one) prepared the table in the dining hall one day/evening and put out the good cutlery and crockery etc very neatly on the table. She went off to fetch something. When she returned, all the cutlery etc was on the floor, all set out neatly, but in a different layout. She dutifully put all the cutlery and plates etc back on the table properly. She went off again. When she returned, the cutlery etc was on the floor again. Annoyed at apparently some unseen person's practical joke, she put everything back on the table properly. Again, when her back was turned, everything was on the floor.

This time, she decided to place all the items on the table, but in the layout as on the floor. The cutlery etc stayed without further disruption.
Lachlan
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Return to Local History and Discussion