Gayfield Place.

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Re: Gayfield Place.

Postby amron » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:14 pm

Yep my dad is in Mallaig now and my Auntie is still in Tarbert..that was my grandparents Rita and Charlie Hunter in the photo..I am hoping my Auntie has some more photos as she was brought up in High Street... :D
amron
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Mzz pasico » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:17 pm

What a wonderful photo amron, i had forgotton all about that wee hoose.Thanks for sharing it. :)
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Mod4 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:00 pm

Isa wrote:That's a great photo amron. I think the mods should move this thread to History and discussion.

Totally Isa, moved. Great posts everyone. 8)
Mod4
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby bill » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:09 pm

Yes same here,had forgotten about the white cottage,great to be reminded.

Tommy re. the McGown's my Mum's maiden name was McGown.

In the original thread showing the photograph of the Coronation celebrations "jamiemcivor" also reckons that building to be Gayfield Place,as I do.Now the question is,for those who disagree,what other building could it possibly be?
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Great thread, great yarns, great photo and most of all thanks for the great lesson in history! Great.

Really wish more people would share memories and photos on the History part of the forum. Come on - dig those old photos out!! 8)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:19 am

bill wrote:In the original thread showing the photograph of the Coronation celebrations "jamiemcivor" also reckons that building to be Gayfield Place,as I do.Now the question is,for those who disagree,what other building could it possibly be?

As you might guess, I disagree with that. Maybe you're having doubts about his yourself, but that building in the Coronation Day photo is in fact Craigie Place. :D
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:00 am

EMDEE wrote:Gayfield Place stood on High Street at the top of Broom Brae, and having had several school friends who lived there, I was in some of the houses from time to time during my time in Dalintober School. From the top flats there was a panoramic view of the town. and the houses looked straight down Broom Brae to Saddell Street and Lochend. As far as I know the orchard was just over the wall opposite Dalintober School, which is of course exactly where you are saying it was.

Just as you said Emdee.Remember the houses well and the orchard was more to the Broom Brae cottage side.Our playing fields many moons ago (playing in the glen behind the school).A wee chap in my class stayed in Broom brae cottage (sadly died very young),Donald Ross was his name.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:10 am

I remember wee Donald Ross from Broom Brae Cottage. It was very sudden and very sad. He must have only been in Primary 4 or 5.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby amron » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:54 pm

My Auntie remembers the people who bred the bulldogs...they stayed in Broom Cottage and the father worked in the butchers where McIlcheres is now... :D
amron
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Mzz pasico » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi Linda , could you ask your dad if Lizzie Mcintyre and her son Duncan are in the photo.They lived in a prefab just behind where the photo was taken.
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Tommy Ralston » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:04 am

My cousin, Angus Martin, reckons that the building on the right of the photo of the prefabs is High Cowdeknowes. I don't remember that, but I am certain that the photo does NOT show Gayfield place. Where are the photos? Someone, somewhere MUST have one, surely!
Bill, from Corby, which of the McGown lassies was your mother, Cathy or Sadie? Sadie lives in Cupar now, not far from where we live.
TR
Tommy Ralston
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby EMDEE » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:51 am

Tommy Ralston wrote:My cousin, Angus Martin, reckons that the building on the right of the photo of the prefabs is High Cowdeknowes. I don't remember that, but I am certain that the photo does NOT show Gayfield place. Where are the photos? Someone, somewhere MUST have one, surely!
TR

The tall building which is higher up and nearer the centre of the photo is Cowdeknowes. It partly obscures the house behind it which is still standing today, and where my Primary 7 teacher Mrs McGeachy lived (Craigowan House). The other building down to the right is of course Craigie Place.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby duncanh » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:35 pm

I lived in Gayfield Place for a number of years prior to it being condemed and subsequently demolished. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos myself, but I'll look thru my mothers collection and see if she has any.(might take a few days though)
duncanh
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Martin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:28 pm

I've probably got this wrong, but would this have anything to do with what I've always thought of as waste ground next to Dalintober school with the remains of some steps ? Always wondered what used to be there but don't believe I ever got around to finding out. I do remember the class being taken up there once on some sort of walk (dim and distant memory).

I knew I had some pics somewhere, this is the bit I mean.

Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Willianways » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:06 pm

Delighted to see the information on Gayfield Place. My granny Margaret McKinven lived there in the early 1900's with her grandfather Donald McInnes a retired shepherd and I have always wanted to know more about it. Thanks everyone.
Willianways
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

PreviousNext

Return to Local History and Discussion