Gayfield Place.

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Re: Gayfield Place.

Postby EMDEE » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:43 pm

Martin wrote:I've probably got this wrong, but would this have anything to do with what I've always thought of as waste ground next to Dalintober school with the remains of some steps ? Always wondered what used to be there but don't believe I ever got around to finding out. I do remember the class being taken up there once on some sort of walk (dim and distant memory).

I knew I had some pics somewhere, this is the bit I mean.

That's the place right enough. You can see the remains of the stairs that used to go up to the drying greens/garden area at the back. There was a set of stairs at each end of the back yard.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:01 pm

Thanks for that, EMDEE.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tommy Ralston » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:33 pm

Well done, Martin. Yes, that was the retaining wall behind the building. The washing houses backed on to that wall. There were more than one air-raid shelters there, one of them was at the top of the left hand (western) stairs, the ones in the second photo. There was another one about the drying green, as I recall.
TR
Last edited by Tommy Ralston on Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Ralston
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Martin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:42 pm

I never realised there was so much history to that bit of ground, and that is why I love history so much. Forget the castles, palaces etc, it's a kind of social history that really gets to me. Whenever I move to a new town I have to find out what was what years ago, what was a butchers, bakers, candlestick makers etc.
Some of what I used to do photography wise was taking commissions from ex-pats and taking pics of places they had lived or known. Some of this took some research as a lot of folks family homes are now buried under a bypass or an Asda or even worse, their whole town being taken over by Tesco.
This sort of history is absolutely fascinating.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby duncanh » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:55 pm

Had a browse thru my mothers old photos, but couldn't find any showing Gayfield Place.
duncanh
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:00 pm

Wee picture sent to us by Tommy Ralston who says

"This photo was taken with the photographer's back to Gayfield Place, photos of whiich still have not turned up! Whose is the shop with the name above it? Is it the BroomBrae one that was later owned by James Gulliver? Is that Mary Taylor's shop that is just behind the old lady in Black?"

If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:33 am

The shop with the name above it looks like it might be the same shop that was latterly owned by Mrs Finn. There was a greengrocer's shop right beside it, but I don't recall the name of the proprietor. (1960s)

Is there a date for this photo?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tommy Ralston » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:55 am

Yes, Emdee, I believe that the Gullivers, and later on Betty Finn, owned that shop, but whose is the name above it in the photo? Mary Taylor, I think, owned the wee shop behind the old lady and no, I don't have a date for the photo. Douglas McKerral sent it to me.
Mary Taylor, I remember, sold wee plates of peas in vinegar - they were great! She also stocked among her cigarettes, the wee, open green packets of 5 Woodbines and the budding smokers (I was one) used to be able to buy one or two fags from these packets on the rare occasion that they could raise the cash.
Also, on the extreme right of the photo there is part of a wall that I think was of the wee butcher's shop that backed on to the orchard. Was it owned by someone whose name was Dougie Smith?
Does anyone remember an old man who had, for just a wee while, a shop between Mary Taylor's and the Co-operative store, in which he repaired clocks and watches? All I can remember of him is that he was alleged to be a Jewish refugee. He certainly was foreign and as a wee boy, I was a bit scared of him! This was early in the 39-45 war, and the gossips in Gayfield Place had it that he was a spy!
TR
Tommy Ralston
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:23 pm

Bingo! From Tommy Ralston

At last, a photo - albeit a limited view - of Gayfield Place, all the way from the US courtesy of Caroline Lounsbury, daughter of my late cousin, Carol Timms (nee McCallum).

The two people shown are my aforementioned cousin and her mother, Carrie McCallum, nee Martin The photo would almost certainly have been taken by my maternal aunt, Sarah Martin.

The flags flying may well have been marking the end of WW2. The young lass (Carol McCallum) would have been say 15 at the time the photo was taken and if, as I think, she was over 80 when she died then my maths (Grammar School - failed) say that it was possibly taken in/around 1945.

Amazing piture Tommy and thanks for sharing it with us! :mrgreen:
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:31 pm

Another couple with many thanks to Tommy and his cousin Caroline Lousbury in America :mrgreen:

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:43 pm

That picture really is a blast from the past ,Davie Black's milk cart.Many a cold morning filling 1 pint cans from the large tank on the cart.Moving on to delivering butcher meat for Kerr's was easy compared to the milk round.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mzz pasico » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:52 pm

Wonderful, just wonderful to see these two photographs. Thank you to the poster for sharing them on the forum.
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Tommy Ralston » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:15 pm

I think we had left Gayfield Place by the time this photo was taken. I don't recall Davie Black, but my brother, Billy, does. I was probably at the fishing by that time. The young lad on the cart is the late Colin Timms.
We used to get our milk from Maggie Barbour who drove the horse and cart from her parents' farm, Low Dalrioch. She used to take us home with her on her cart where her lovely mother would feed us, in the midst of all that rationing, with a tray of tea and - luxury indeed - home-made pancakes spread with butter AND jam.
These were halcyon days indeed. What patience and kindness the Barbour family displayed.
TR
Tommy Ralston
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby carlen222 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:53 am

thought this old postcard of high street might be of interest to this thread :D
Attachments
high st.jpg
high st.jpg (118.47 KiB) Viewed 22422 times
carlen222
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:45 am

Is that opposite Glenscotia where the "new" flats are? (next to Dalintober school)

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local History and Discussion