Boat building

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Boat building

Postby paraffin man » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:35 pm

What about the old shipyards in the toon.

I dont know much about them, but someone one here must recall them.

As far as i have been told & saw pictures of there was one area at the paddling pool, now the Sea Cadet shed as there is a slipway directly in front of it, there was another where thge Job Centreplus building is & of course the latter at the Trebch point i can definetly remebr that one, it was always good to see the new boats coming out from there.

Sadly all gone now with the decline of the fishing industry :( , something seems to tell me that the last boat to be built at the shipyard is actually the McMonagles fish & chip restaraunt that is situated in Clydebank, anybody confirm this?

This is one of the many fine boats delivered in only 9 months in 1990 from the yard based, since its launch in Peterhead, many of Peterheads fleet came from here & all the buyers obviously came here for a reason, every one of them said they were & still are quality boats. 8) Sadly a lot of them have beem decommisioned now :( but there is always the history & memories.

FV Budding Rose

Image[/img]
paraffin man
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby GarySutherland » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:07 pm

I came across this aerial photo of the shipyard at Trench Point a little while ago. I'm not sure how old it is.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby hoots the scoop » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:12 pm

Noo - there is a topic and a half :shock:

The Campbeltown Shipyard - you could probably write a book on the characters who worked there alone! :lol: :wink:

PS - Gary, good photo - where did you get it?
hoots the scoop
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby GarySutherland » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:25 pm

I can't quite remember. I only have it as a file on the computer though so it probably came off of a website somewhere, perhaps one of the newspapers' photo-archives. Presumably it was taken from a plane or helicopter.

Regards
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby petewick » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:29 pm

There was a shipyard at Trench Point, it closed in 1922.
Also there was O'Haras boat yard which was situated where the DSS buildings are now.

petewick
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby mags » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:11 pm

Does anyone know what year the trench point reopened. I remember some of the people who worked there years ago - away back when I was very young. And remember the Low Road at its busiest when the workers were coming and going.
mags
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Jeanette » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:29 pm

Mags

The shipyard opened again in 1968 and the first boat launched was the Crimson Arrow for the "noons" (Mc Donalds)

According to the Campbeltown book the last fishing boat launched was the "Steadfast 1V"

The old carriages from the Machrihanish Railway lay there 'till the sixties and the Mc Corkindale family who lived in the shipyard house had the task of maintaining them for summer let to tourists.

Gary's picture could be the late eighties. The Fort Argyll houses are there at the top and the extension to the shipyard is also in place. Just a guess.

jeanette
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby mags » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:37 pm

Thanks Jeanette. I remember my father working there when it reopened. Saw Gary's photo, but I thought it was perhaps very late 70's as I left Campbeltown in 1981 and I thought there were some houses there when I left. But perhaps I'm wrong.
mags
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby paraffin man » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:51 pm

The Steadfast IV was the last fishing boat to be produced by the yard. It was the topic of the telly programme 'Gutted' last year, sadly the boat is now scrapped somewhere in Norway i think, i also believe the engine & controls went to Thailand of all places :shock:

As i said at the top i also believe that the last 'boat' to be produced by the yard was McMonagles restaraunt at Clydbank, this left by road in sections & is, ironically a fish & chip restraunt.
paraffin man
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:26 pm

paraffin man wrote:As i said at the top i also believe that the last 'boat' to be produced by the yard was McMonagles restaraunt at Clydbank, this left by road in sections & is, ironically a fish & chip restraunt.

I believe this is true. My old man worked on that and then went to Clydebank for a number of weeks to finish the project. It is his claim to fame when is in Clydebank! :lol: well mine too when I am up at the offices there and tell the bankies 'ma faither built that!' :wink:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby witchnettle » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:03 am

i can remember while in primary school, we had a visit to the shipyard to see them at work, and it was amazing, it all seemed so huge (I was only 10 at the time) This would have been in the late seventies. x
flag flax fodder and frig
witchnettle
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby general jack o'niell » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:09 pm

:o :o
Last edited by general jack o'niell on Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
general jack o'niell

Postby GarySutherland » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:32 pm

I've got a picture of a boat called the "Boy Andrew" which I think came with the same batch as the aerial shot. It's numbered TT179 though. I'd have thought it would have been a CN number. Ring any bells with anyone?

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby jdcarra » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:10 pm

general jack o'niell wrote:the first boat built was indeed the crimson arrow, the second was built for cubby i think, can't remember the name, but the first boat on the slip before any were built was the albion, i remember going up and down the slip on her as they tested the winches. theres a photo somewhere which i'm sure "the bairn" can get her hands on, (not as daft as i appear!!) and a rather fetching oil painting of the event, which hangs in her mother's front hall.

GJO you are correct on Crimson Arrow. She was no. 001. Cubby's boat (speaking to his son today) was the Aquarian CN 42 no.006, built 1971. In between them was the St Adrian, Steadfast ???????.
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:16 pm

GarySutherland wrote:I've got a picture of a boat called the "Boy Andrew" which I think came with the same batch as the aerial shot. It's numbered TT179 though. I'd have thought it would have been a CN number. Ring any bells with anyone?

Cheers
Gary

Gary

TT179 if I remember was a wooden boat owned by John McLeod from Tarbert. She was probably at the yard for repairs of some kind.

Two Boy Andrews were built at the yard, one an 80ft and then a new replacement 87 footer some years later. Maybe someone could correct me if i am wrong.
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local History and Discussion