Boat building

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

TT179 Boy Andrew

Postby GarySutherland » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:44 pm

Thanks JD,

Here's the picture I have, nicely in colour too.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby paraffin man » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:57 pm

Gary,

The picture in your post the taken at the dual carriageway at the old slip opposite the job centre. This slipway used to take the boats up for repair & maintenance as well as the shipyard slip. All this is now part of the 'new' new quay now & we now have a nice new slip. :lol:
paraffin man
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby jdcarra » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:43 pm

[img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166[IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums[IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/jdcarra/CopyofBuddingRosePD418Small.jpg[/IMG[IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/jdcarra/Copyofbudding3Small.jpg[/img]

Pictures of the Budding Rose being built inside the yard and of its launching.
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Jeanette » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:59 pm

1990 at the shipyard. The Budding Rose a Peterhead boat launched at the shipyard
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jdcarra » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:08 am

Had that picture Jeanette, but they did not post. Will try again.
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Boy Andrew

Postby Dunc » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:13 am

One of the "Boy Andrew" boats was based at Wick and lay alongside the quay below where I lived. She was owned by the Bremners of Wick or should I say "Week" as pronounced up there.

Bye
Dunc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby paraffin man » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:18 am

Aye they were braw boats right enough. Shame its all away noo :!:
paraffin man
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Boy Andrew

Postby Sweltered » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:21 am

Dunc wrote:One of the "Boy Andrew" boats was based at Wick and lay alongside the quay below where I lived. She was owned by the Bremners of Wick or should I say "Week" as pronounced up there.

Bye

The original WK registered Boy Andrew was built as a longliner for Norrie Bremner of Wick. He could get grants to build a longliner rather than a seiner but installed ropereels very quickly It was renamed "Opportune" when the 87 ft seiner was built at the Yerd, for Norrie's son Andrew. The mate of the Boy Andrew, David Fraser became skipper of the Opprtune.
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

week

Postby general jack o'niell » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:01 am

8)
Last edited by general jack o'niell on Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
general jack o'niell

Postby petewick » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:28 am

Always remember when my gran was housekeeper for A.H Fleming, his home was Craigbhan.
One day I accompanied my nana to work, which happened to be a launching day at the yard. This may have been about 1973, 74 or 75.
I was watching the proceedings from an upstairs window, and just as the boat had started to slip, it tilted to one side, resting on its keel.

Petewick
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Boat building

Postby jdcarra » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:45 pm

paraffin man wrote:What about the old shipyards in the toon.
Sadly all gone now with the decline of the fishing industry :( , something seems to tell me that the last boat to be built at the shipyard is actually the McMonagles fish & chip restaraunt that is situated in Clydebank, anybody confirm this?

I,all gone now, but this one still sails on, can't remember if she was the last built. Built at the yard and transported in sections by road to Clydebank to be rebuilt by the yard workers as I can remember being told by D White. Has won awards for not design, but fish and chip shop of the year 1994 and runner up 2000. Still owned by the McMonagle family.
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby lorri » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:41 pm

hey dp i do that to when in clydebank but my claim is my dad drew it LOL!!!! :lol:
lorri
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby jdcarra » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:00 am

The above picture is the work of W Craig who contacted me to say he had superimposed the Clydebank chippie which was built at Campbeltown Shipyard on to the Fergusons slipway in Glasgow. Maybe not as spectacular as the launch on Wednesday of HMS Daring, but a clever bit of digitial work.
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby GarySutherland » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:34 pm

Where is that chippy, JD, relative to Braehead say, and are the chips any good?

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby jdcarra » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:11 am

GarySutherland wrote:Where is that chippy, JD, relative to Braehead say, and are the chips any good?

Cheers
Gary

Gary

The above posting shows the McMonagles restaurant boat on the Forth and Clyde Canal at Clydebank Shopping Centre. As for quality of fish and chips, have'nt tried it for years, but it did win awards way back.
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local History and Discussion