Davaar Island :

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Re: Davaar Island :

Postby Iain » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:32 am

Shona wrote:Hi Iain,
Do you want me to take this up with some genealogist pals? A number live in Australia, so may be able to uncover some clues Down Under.

Shona, I don't think it's now necessary to contact the Auzzies..., I think I have all that's needed thanks to Rootschat. Here's what I learned.
--------------------------------

1851 for Campbeltown - all born there - you will need to check the original image to confirm spelling of surname

George St

John McKellan 47 flesher
Agness McArthur 46
Archibald 5
Peter 3
Mary 7
Campbeltown ED 1 Page 23 Line 11

---------------------------------------------

From Family Search
Parents John McKellar and Agnes McArthur

Mary McKellar
Birth:19 Jun 1843
Baptism:12 Jul 1843. Campbeltown

Archibald McKellar
Born: 16 Oct 1845
Baptism: 1 Dec 1845. Campbeltown

Peter McKellar
Birth 1 Jan 1848
Baptised: 30 Jan 1848. Campbeltown
Died: 1881, Victoria Australia

EDIT:
Archibald must have been homesick right enough... He came back to Scotland where he died on 13 Mar 1924
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article ... l-title=13
The matching death is registered in Hillhead, Lanarkshire
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Australian newspaper Melbourne :
"McKellar.- On the 13th March 1924, Scotland. Archibald, the beloved husband of the late Janet McKellar of Kilkerran Farm, Poor-???? near Cressy, Victoria, and beloved brother of the late Mrs. W. Maxwell of McKillop Street, ???long."

Reading between the lines of this newspaper, homesickness provides some info. Calling their farm in Australia “Kilkerran,” could well indicate a fond attachment to the region. Indicating that the family obviously walked to the Island at low tide to tend their sheep (butcher) and a long way to walk for Archibald to go to school.
George Street could have been the shop.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Shona » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:47 am

That seems to all fit together neatly. I wonder if the OPR would say where Archibald was born or where his parents were living.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby petewick » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:12 pm

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:There are Mink on the island.I have watched them hunting by the shore.

A lot of mink were visible all over Kintyre when the mink farms were closed 20 years ago, Peninver was rotten with them, spent a week there in August, never saw one.....
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby petewick » Tue May 31, 2016 10:25 pm

The buidings beside the light are the principal keepers and relief keepers houses. The building along the
road is the lookout....it was the command post for the anti submarine boom. The ruin on the south shore is
known as the sheep hoose....there is no real evidence of who lived there
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tommy Ralston » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:09 pm

Of no real connection with the original query - I believe that the name Davaar comes from the Gaelic, "Two crops".
Tommy Ralston
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Iainmckellar » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:46 pm

Iain,

I was interested in your story about the McArthur and McKellar Butchers. My family includes McKellars and McKays from Kintyre, and my great grandmother ran McKellar Dairy in Campbeltown. If you have additional information about the butchers shop please let me know. I believe I have seen a copy of the photo you mention of their van.

I am also interested in the McMath/Matheson family of Glenahanty. I have census information on them for 1851 and 1861, but cannot find anything for 1841. Jean McKellar married Dugald Matheson in 1864.

Sorry to get into family history, but this seemed the best way to contact you.

All the best,

Iain
Iainmckellar
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Previous

Return to Local History and Discussion