19th century rent book on eBay, Dugald Bell, Auchaglass

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

19th century rent book on eBay, Dugald Bell, Auchaglass

Postby STG » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:43 am

An interesting historical rent book is now for sale on eBay, item description "Dugald Bell Crofter Rent Book 1839-1849 Auchaglass Achaglass Scotland Kintyre"
This should link to the item: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SS:GB:1120
The listing also contains images of those pages on which transactions were listed.
Any descendants out there?
STG (who has no connection with the seller).
STG
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: 19th century rent book on eBay, Dugald Bell, Auchaglass

Postby Shona » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:03 am

I saw that, too, STG. Brilliant find, but on the dear side at £80.

I have John McLeans in my family tree, but given that one of them was Kintyre's infamous Resurrection Man, I doubt that he was the one receiving the rent, but you never know. Might have been his father, though.

A bit of background, Dugald Bell quit Achaglass before 1851, which was taken over by John McSporran and his family. The rent book shows that Dugald Bell and John McSporran were sharing the rent.

Dugald and his family then went to live on Cara, where he was a shepherd for many years. Wonder if he was looking after sheep or the goats!

I wonder if A&B could buy the rent book for their archives?
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Local History and Discussion