Looking for Cregnavullin, Clachan

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Looking for Cregnavullin, Clachan

Postby robertsond » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:24 pm

Was there an area near Dunskeig Hill or in Clachan named "Cregnavullin"? The 1841 census gives Cregnavullin as Archibald Darroch's residence, but I cannot find it. Do you have any idea where I might find or confirm its location?

Thank you!
robertsond
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Looking for Cregnavullin, Clachan

Postby kisolini » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:50 pm

Hello
If you google "A DARROCH SEARCH" "Frank Darroch" you should get to a story of another Darroch family member trying to find Archibald’s homestead (and much more). There is some detail there on its possible location. Roy’s Highlands map shows a Dunskieg near Clachan http://maps.nls.uk/geo/roy/ Archibald was married to my ggg grandfather’s sister, Mary Milloy.
Regards,
Cairn
kisolini
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby robertsond » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:14 pm

Thanks, Cairn. I use darroch.org a lot, and have been in touch with its founder, Malcolm Darroch.

You said Mary Milloy's sister is your g-g-g-grandmother. That would make us 4th (or so) cousins.

I am writing a family history book about the Darrochs, which involves the Milloys. From which of Mary's sisters do you descend?
robertsond
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby C Darroch » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:41 pm

I know this response is long after you were seeking the information.

Having said that, here goes; Frank Darroch's Red Book on the Darroch Family says that when he visited in the sixties, the house had been torn down when they built the new road.

That is if you are referring to Archie Darroch the customary weaver and was as well the Precentor in the Church, born in 195 and passed in 1863.

Colin Darroch
C Darroch
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby robertsond » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:23 pm

Thanks, Colin.

Yes, Frank Darroch's red book is a great source. I have also since found a 19th century map that shows Cregnavullin just as Frank described it.
robertsond
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local History and Discussion