Birth & Buildings

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Birth & Buildings

Postby EricR » Sun May 03, 2015 9:52 pm

THOMAS LORNE LONGSTREETH was born in March 1874 in Machrihanish, I believe. His father, also Thomas, was a clerk of works based in the London area although another son was born in Devon. I believe he managed a variety of building projects and wonder what took him to Kintyre - apart from the beautiful countryside. It may well have had a connection with golf or the hotels. The young Thomas grew up and seems to have moved from 'Plumber's Mate' to 'Joiner' to 'Builder'. He seems to have been responsible for the building of a small Catholic church in 1904 in Hunstanton, Norfolk. At about this time he was boarding in Cromer around the coast. The architect who designed the church was GB CARVILL who also had connections with Cromer and designed the clubhouse at the golf course there. This is very vague and I am only following a hunch to help me pad out a brief history of the church I am writing. I would be very grateful if anyone has come across the names Longstreeth or Carvill or has access to any relevant records. Thanks in advance and enjoy that beautiful countryside!
EricR
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Birth & Buildings

Postby 631 everard » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:20 pm

Thomas Lorne Longstreeth was 1 of 8 children born to

Thomas Augustine Adolphus Longstreeth b.1847 Worcester - d.1923 Westhampnett Sussex
Martha Victoria Walker b.1853 Westminster d.1920 Westhampnett Sussex

According to the census returns his father was a builder & clerk of works with the Metropolitan police

Thomas Lorne Longstreeth had 5 surviving siblings

Charles Oswald Longstreeth b.1876 Newton Ferrers Devon - d.1955 Los Angeles
Leopold Victor Longstreeth b.1881 Clapton Middlesex - d.1966 Los Angeles
Albert Edward Longstreeth b. 1884 Clapton Middlesex - d.1968 Brighton Sussex
William Cornelius Longstreeth b.1892 Clapton Middlesex - d.1974 Chichester Sussex
Drucilla Victoria Longstreeth b. 1897 Clapton Middlesex - d.1983 Chichester Sussex

On 7 April 1898 Thomas Lorne married Clara Frances Crowden in the parish church of Hackney
Their daughter Frances Laura Longstreeth was born on 17 Nov 1899 - d.1990 Worthing Sussex

He went out to Australia at some point, possibly about 1910, and enlisted in the army in WW1. On 14 Jan 1928 he made a will leaving everything to his wife Maud Ethel Longstreeth. I cannot find this marriage. He died on 19 June 1948 in Deewhy New South Wales.
631 everard
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local History and Discussion