Campbeltown Memories

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Postby Sweltered » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:59 pm

Rabmacd wrote:Frosty, you're spot on with the Loch Restaurant. Think it was the Dunn family that opened it. It is now my place of work. :shock:

Are you sure about that Rab?
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:04 pm

About what bit, Sweltered?? :? The Dunns or the work? :)
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Central!

Postby Annie » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:51 pm

Wasn't the central where we would go and get a plate of chips for 50P during school lunch time, and then haul our butts way back up the hill to the Grammar???
Last edited by Annie on Mon May 01, 2006 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Central!

Postby Sweltered » Mon May 01, 2006 1:14 am

Annie wrote:Wasn't the cenral where we would go and get a plate of chips for 50P during school lunch time, and then haul our butts way back up the hill to the Grammar???
Surely the hill up tae the wee grammar wisnae that steep?
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Memories

Postby Frosty » Mon May 01, 2006 5:52 pm

Hi Sweltered,
It depends on which hill Annie was climbing.
The Limecraigs side was a lot steeper than the Meadows way.
Then again you could return to school via ''The Cutting '' but that was the romantic journey as it was nice and covered under the trees so you could take plenty of time , as long as the grass bank back up to the gate wasn't too muddy for the girls shoes ! !

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Memories

Postby Sweltered » Mon May 01, 2006 10:50 pm

Frosty wrote:Hi Sweltered,
It depends on which hill Annie was climbing.
The Limecraigs side was a lot steeper than the Meadows way.
Then again you could return to school via ''The Cutting '' but that was the romantic journey as it was nice and covered under the trees so you could take plenty of time , as long as the grass bank back up to the gate wasn't too muddy for the girls shoes ! !

fROSTY

I said the WEE Grammar.
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

HAHAHA!!!!

Postby Annie » Mon May 01, 2006 11:20 pm

Sweltered gotcha there Frosty! Ach, but we are naw as auld as awe that yet - I jope!!!!!!!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

George's Haggis Suppers

Postby LO » Tue May 02, 2006 3:58 pm

Mentioned in passing to George MacMillan that his Haggis Suppers were being lionised on the Forum and he told me that it will be 30 years on the 15th May since the last one was fried and he took over the newsagents. I bet that makes some of you feel old! By the way, he totally denies the wellington boot story :)
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Memories

Postby Frosty » Tue May 02, 2006 6:24 pm

Sorry Sweltered ,
It didn't register as The Wee Grammar ! !
I stand corrected , perhaps the fact that I went to Dalintober , and that stopped us going to the Toon centre at Lunchtimes ,prevented me from considering that ?

Cheers
fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Hey, Frosty!

Postby Annie » Tue May 02, 2006 11:35 pm

That's why Castlehillians called us Dally Dotes!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: George's Haggis Suppers

Postby Sweltered » Thu May 04, 2006 2:54 am

LO wrote:Mentioned in passing to George MacMillan that his Haggis Suppers were being lionised on the Forum and he told me that it will be 30 years on the 15th May since the last one was fried and he took over the newsagents. I bet that makes some of you feel old! By the way, he totally denies the wellington boot story :)

I must ask my mother when I talk to her, about the drainage system. Not sure if she actually saw it,, but my faither told that story often.

I can't believe it's 30 years!!
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby SAR TEAM LEADER » Thu May 04, 2006 10:03 pm

Frosty wrote:Sorry Sweltered ,
I stand corrected , perhaps the fact that I went to Dalintober , and that stopped us going to the Toon centre at Lunchtimes ,prevented me from considering that ?

Cheers
fROSTY

Being a fellow student of that fine seat of learning, Dalintober Infants School, I remember lunchtime trips to saddell street, where at the top of Broom Brae once stood Mrs Finns shop.
Further down the street there was Joe Black's bakery. If my memory serves me right, it was later owned by the McKay family who had the grocers van. Laterly it was owned by the Tavendales.
Across the street stood the only chippie not mentioned in despatches so far; Glyndies!
I just noticed today that Blacks shop further along High street is now a flat, and has been for several months.
Thats progress for you!
SAR TEAM LEADER
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Broom Brae!!!!!

Postby Annie » Thu May 04, 2006 10:21 pm

I remember the lunchtimes well at Dalintober. When we all had our money and ran down the Broom Brae to buy our quarter pound bags of hard candy, or penny candy and stuff ourselves silly! There was a grocery store on the corner of High Street and Broom Brae, what was that? I jees canna mind????
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Fri May 05, 2006 12:03 am

SAR TEAM LEADER wrote:
Frosty wrote:Sorry Sweltered ,

Cheers
fROSTY

Being a fellow student of that fine seat of learning, Dalintober Infants School, I remember lunchtime trips to saddell street, where at the top of Broom Brae once stood Mrs Finns shop.
Further down the street there was Joe Black's bakery. If my memory serves me right, it was later owned by the McKay family who had the grocers van. Laterly it was owned by the Tavendales.
Across the street stood the only chippie not mentioned in despatches so far; Glyndies!
I just noticed today that Blacks shop further along High street is now a flat, and has been for several months.
Thats progress for you!

There was also Johnsons over beside Blacks. The old boy in there sold is ciggies. 11 years old buying 10 No6 and a book of matches for 221/2p

24 years later I finally quit. That's the last time I listen John MacKerral. (only joking John, I take full responsibility, cough cough, not your fault, wheeze cough)
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Johnsons!

Postby Annie » Fri May 05, 2006 2:15 am

I remember old Johnson. Is his shop turned into flats as well now??
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local History and Discussion