Campbeltown Memories

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Re: Memories - wee Grammar

Postby jdcarra » Fri May 05, 2006 9:08 am

Sweltered wrote:
Frosty wrote:Hi Sweltered,
It depends on which hill Annie was climbing.
The Limecraigs side was a lot steeper than the Meadows way.
Then again you could return to school via ''The Cutting '' but that was the romantic journey as it was nice and covered under the trees so you could take plenty of time , as long as the grass bank back up to the gate wasn't too muddy for the girls shoes ! !

fROSTY

I said the WEE Grammar.

Apologies for jumping back to this, but was the wee Grammar not the maths department across the road from the old Grammar. My short term at this school can remember someone putting silver paper (out oh a cig packet) into the light bulb holder and when a teacher switched on the lights all hell broke loose, blew the fuses in the entire block. Mr Smith the maths teacher (wee bat) did not see the funny side oh it and went out oh his way to find the culprit which naebody I think owned up.

the old Grammar

and the wee hill up to it and some will remember stopping in the Jack (snooker hall) on occasions.

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

HAHAHA!

Postby Annie » Fri May 05, 2006 9:28 am

Great pictures! Ran roon' that playgrun' a hunner times, and naw when ah wiz wee either - HEHE!!!!!!!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

McMillans Chip Shop

Postby Bob ( Glasgow ) » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:12 pm

Was that the one in Longrow ?
I used to stay with Aunty Mary ( Perry ) opposite during the early seventies.
Did he run fishing trips ? Remember one nite we caught a ton of dogfish but he was reluctant to throw them away at the end of the evening. My pal and I were sure that his "Fish Suppers" for the rest of the week were Dogfish Suppers.
The joys. What about the wee sweetie shop - McIllwraith ? or similar name - never shut.

Bob (Glasgow )
Bob ( Glasgow )
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

George McMillan's chip shop

Postby bill » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:44 pm

Before George McMillan had the chip shop it was Beth's,it's claim to fame was the first jukebox in the town.Its fish & chips were never a patch on Glyndies.

The shop on the corner of High St. and Broom Brae was a S.C.W.S.(Co-op).
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby witchnettle » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:13 pm

the "old" and the "wee" grammars are fine looking buildings, pity the same can't be said for the "new" grammar monstrosity on the hill x
flag flax fodder and frig
witchnettle
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: McMillans Chip Shop

Postby petewick » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:18 pm

Bob ( Glasgow ) wrote:Was that the one in Longrow ?
I used to stay with Aunty Mary ( Perry ) opposite during the early seventies.
Did he run fishing trips ? Remember one nite we caught a ton of dogfish but he was reluctant to throw them away at the end of the evening. My pal and I were sure that his "Fish Suppers" for the rest of the week were Dogfish Suppers.
The joys. What about the wee sweetie shop - McIllwraith ? or similar name - never shut.

Bob (Glasgow )

Borthwicks at the bottom of Longrow South?

petewick
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Och ...

Postby Annie » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:50 pm

For GAWD SAKES! George's chip shop was on Bolgam Street, right across from the TSB!!!!!!!!!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Och ...

Postby jdcarra » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:31 pm

Annie wrote:For GAWD SAKES! George's chip shop was on Bolgam Street, right across from the TSB!!!!!!!!!!!

Annie

Would you naw be too young tae mind it was were the Golden Ocean is :lol: or may'be my memory has gone :roll:.
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Golden Ocean

Postby Annie » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:59 pm

Yes I remember his OLD chip shop was in the Golden Ocean, where I was a waitress in the summer time, but his newer one was on Bolgam Street!

DADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Campbeltown Memories

Postby petewick » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:03 pm

Frosty wrote:Cheers Jd , I'd forgotten their names.

The Loch Resraurant , wasn't that opposite the TSB bank ?
There was a Tea Room where Sportif originally started , but I think the customers were mainly the older generation popping in while doing the shopping , or did we used to call it '' Messages '' ?

fROSTY

It was the Central Tearomm as you say it was used by the older population doing the messages.
Remember being in it with my Granny, her neighbour Mrs Mary McCallum worked there.
It was owned by Mrs Netta McLachlan who later bought Mortons shop in George Street, my
Mum worked there until Mrs McLachlan retired.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Local History and Discussion