Saddell Street

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Postby petewick » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:02 am

alan kincaid wrote:i used to work in gordon blacks shop with him and his wife about 25 years ago- i used to make up boxes of provisions for quite a lot of the fishing boats. think he lived up high askomil ? is gordon and wife still alive-reckon they must be in there eighties by now .

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

They lived up at Rothmar on High Askomil, Gordons wife passed away some years ago, Gordon more recently.

petewick
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby weetoonie » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:24 pm

and the wee shop that was in the close in pensioners row. now who remembers that one?
weetoonie
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby bill » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:29 pm

I remember the shop in Pensioners Row,(was it Wardropes'??) as I used to deliver there when I was working on the Dunsade lorry with Charlie Morrison.

What about the sweetie shop that was at the top of the Longrow?There was another little shop next to it that sold kiddies clothes and ribbons etc.,across the road from McIlcheres' top shop.Can't for the life of me remember the name of either,but I'm sure someone will.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:07 pm

Sweetie shop at the top of the Longrow was Armstrongs, it became McSporrans, and finally Stewarts before it closed.

The shop beside it was a tartan and highland dress shop and was called Fasain Chinn-tir. (Kintyre Fashion?) This one opened in the late 1970s, and I think prior to that was a private flat.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Saddell Street

Postby petewick » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:26 pm

Stewarts actually sold it to a family called ward who named it the Candy Shop.
It closed when they retired, they converted it into a flat where one of their relatives lived.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re:

Postby Iain » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:17 pm

bill wrote:Soaps was always the most popular barbers in town,and you could'nt beat Cathy Thompsons sweetie shop for the penny tray.

Lol ! Thanks Bill ! Cathy Thompsons, a wonderful 'well-rounded' lady ! :wink: I must have bought up half her stock !
As for Soaps..., even today, here in Belgium, I'll explain about all the scissor-clicking and nobody comprehends.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Previous

Return to Local History and Discussion