Pet Shop

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Pet Shop

Postby Martin » Tue May 16, 2006 8:58 am

Last edited by Martin on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fi » Tue May 16, 2006 9:24 pm

Sorry Martin dont remember a Pet Shop in Millknowe :( [/code]
fi
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby jdcarra » Tue May 16, 2006 9:33 pm

Martin

Also can't remember pet shop there. There was one in Shore Street on the corner opposite Duncan Rentons garage many years back!!!
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ullean's mum » Tue May 16, 2006 10:54 pm

Remember the pet shop in shore street and was there not a bakery where rentons garage is ,remember my granny sending me out with a basket to buy the rolls and iced fingers as a treat?
ullean's mum
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Martin » Tue May 16, 2006 11:15 pm

Last edited by Martin on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Annie » Wed May 17, 2006 10:09 pm

I don't remember a pet shop there, just a regular kind of small grocery store that sold newspapers and stuff like that, so you did not have to go all the way into town.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Thu May 18, 2006 12:04 am

Annie wrote:I don't remember a pet shop there, just a regular kind of small grocery store that sold newspapers and stuff like that, so you did not have to go all the way into town.

The shop at Millknowe was owned by the Fleming family when i was a youngster.
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ninja Mania » Thu May 18, 2006 12:06 am

What a great memory you have Jd, remembering so far back into the olden days. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Thu May 18, 2006 12:39 am

Ninja Mania wrote:What a great memory you have Jd, remembering so far back into the olden days. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I Peter

It was Ted Fleming and we moved into their old house at 128 Davaar Ave when i was 11years old. Remember the drive was made at the side of the house for his daughters wee blue three wheeler disabilty car. Funny you'll mind as far back as that, yet if someone asked ye what did you do today, ye'll hae a blank mind. :?
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:47 pm

ullean's mum wrote:Remember the pet shop in shore street and was there not a bakery where rentons garage is ,remember my granny sending me out with a basket to buy the rolls and iced fingers as a treat?

That would have been the Co-op bakery.Used to go in after the dancing in the Vic. to get a hot pie or sausage roll on the way home...M E M O R I E S
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:58 pm

jdcarra wrote:
Annie wrote:I don't remember a pet shop there, just a regular kind of small grocery store that sold newspapers and stuff like that, so you did not have to go all the way into town.

The shop at Millknowe was owned by the Fleming family when i was a youngster.

Am I right in saying that it was Ted Fleming, previous to the Millknowe Shop, had a shop at the bottom of Albynn Avenue?It was made of wood and painted green(or maybe blue),no more than a big shed really.
This is going back to when the gasometer and the piggery were still there in the Roading.

Now there's a thing...what was the name of the guy who had the piggery on the Roading?
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:19 pm

Ted Fleming had the wooden shop in Albyn Avenue, and it was demolished along with the prefabs, and he relocated to Millknowe Terrace round about 1962/63. The shop is still there having been through quite a few different proprietors over the last 40 odd years.

Maybe somebody else can answer the piggery query. I can remember the noise from the piggery that filled the whole neighbourhood when the pigs were being fed, and we used to go to see them after school sometimes, but I couldn't give the owner's name.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jaywalker » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:40 pm

Cant remember the wee shop or even the prefabs... but I'm obviously a good bit younger than you... I do remember the coal heaps in the gas works just over the wall from Millknowe school, and running down them when I had to get the football back if the ball went over, wonder what the health and safety people would say about that now... I do howerver remember clambering about over the top of the roofs of the old bakery at the bottom of Fisher Row, bloody stupid if you think of it, but it seemed fun at the time... :oops:
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you!
jaywalker
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby EMDEE » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:07 pm

There was an earlier post office in Millknowe Terrace. It was in the house on the right hand side of the first pend in the terrace. I can just remember being in there but I think it goes back to my pre school days.

Also if I remember correctly there was a shop in Dalaruan Terrace, somewhere near the end of the terrace at Craigowan Park end. I have faint recollections of going to this shop on my way to Dalintober School. Anybody confirm this? I don't mean Fred Waggett's shop, it was across the road in Glentorran Place, and was a Mecca for the pupils at Dalintober School.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Jeanette » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:06 pm

bill wrote:what was the name of the guy who had the piggery on the Roading?

Allistair McArthur

EMDEE wrote:There was an earlier post office in Millknowe Terrace.

Miss Mackie's

EMDEE wrote:Also if I remember correctly there was a shop in Dalaruan Terrace, somewhere near the end of the terrace at Craigowan Park end.

McLeans
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Next

Return to Local History and Discussion