Southend building, wotsit?

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Postby daftdog » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:15 pm

Curious to know who actually owns the Keil building now.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby daftdog » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:32 pm

Cheers oorly.

Just wanted tae be nosey and see if it changes hands when landscaping the new golf course gets under way.

Handy site link as well..
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Elizajayne » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:46 pm

Annie you are right Terry the Canadian used to own Keil Hotel his wife was a local lady called Marilyn McGeachy - (George MacMillans sister in law) their daughter is called Virginia.
The Kelly family from Southend owned it at one point too.
Elizajayne
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:52 pm

Was a rather nice postcard of the Keil Hotel on Ebay this last day or so. I was bidding for it but it went over my limit.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Annie » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:09 pm

I thought it had a pool, but I must have been thinking about the tennis court.

Is the gatehouse still there too???
Luv ya billions!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postcard

Postby oorly gourlay » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:10 pm

The photo shows why the building is now in ruins - a too large expanse of flat roof that was badly maintained allowing water to destroy the fabric.

oorly
Over land and sea!
oorly gourlay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:06 pm

It is an outstanding art deco design though. I would have loved to have seen it when it was newly finished.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Annie » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:32 pm

I spent a long weekend in the hotel with my famly! The whole lobby and the dining hall - and the bar area were wonderful. Not to forget the Butler Quarters as well as a beautiful patio and dumb waiters in each of the hallways for the laundry, etc. The carpeting was brilliant, and the art deco furnishings very cool!

But even then. it kinda smelled a little musty. Must have been the damp seeping in from the roof!
Luv ya billions!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Southend building, wotsit?

Postby suemcnee » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:44 pm

We visited the Keil hotel in 1983 for our honeymoon - advertising guaranteed sunshine or £10 off your bill ! It did rain but the money was well spent at the bar being entertained by the delightfull owners.The owners at the time were two young couples we think from Glasgow. We are heading back there again tomorrow to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. It is so sad to see it as it is now on the web.
suemcnee
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Bobh » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:49 pm

The Hotel was brill when it was open. I started going to Southend when i was 17 (1979) and the hotel was very popular. I remember the advertising that if it rained during your stay they would deduct £10 from your bill. I frequented it from the camp site and had many a good night. The view over to Sanda on a summers night will never leave me. It actually closed on October 1990. Still walk pass it regularly and have walked up a couple of times but it's quite dangerous if you can access it.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Mary G » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:42 pm

Those were great days in Southend, Bobh. From 1979 until the end of the 1980's. Regular dances and discos in the Hall, and also in the sheds/ annexe buildings owned by each of Keil and the Argyll. People used to travel from Carradale and Tarbert to go to them. Great nights, indeed.

As an erstwhile resident of exactly your vintage I guess I must know who you are.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby sooze » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:44 pm

not just 1979-end of 80s. I remember Southend Argyll (especially the staff caravans for parties), Keil and Hall in the 60s and 70s. Makes me feel old

Sooze
sooze
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby sconeface » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:17 pm

It would be lovely and very interesting to see any photos from when the Taylor/Kelly owned it. I believe in those days it was THE place to stay.
sconeface
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby EMDEE » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:17 am

I was talking to someone yesterday who had visited Kintyre for the first time, and had spent a bit of time in Southend. She was asking what the "building" was. Is there any prospect of anything being done with it, or is it going to continue to be an increasingly unsightly and dangerous eyesore, a blot on the landscape, and talking point for visitors?

Surely Argyll and Bute Council have some responsibility, indeed duty, to compel the owners to do something with it, as they did last year with the Argyll Hotel in Oban which has lain derelict for a number of years now. The Argyll (which is also a listed building) is in the centre of a town, but Keil is in an even worse situation as a mouldering hulk in an area of natural beauty. Why is no action being taken? :?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local History and Discussion