Standing Stone at Beachmenach..

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Standing Stone at Beachmenach..

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:07 pm

Any info on this Malky (or anyone else for that matter) - only spotted it for the first time last week when I was down on the shore.

Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby SmithD » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:33 am

My dad might know. Being a local man! :)
URL=http://www.glitterkiss.com]Image[/URL]
SmithD
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby witchnettle » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:15 pm

my parents used to tell me a tale about how the standing stone got there.... if you are all sitting comfortably i shall share it with you........... The MacDonalds of Largie, have a broonie that looks after them, and this broonie lives on the isle of Cara, (which is directly opposite Beacharr). One day a Campbell landed on the Cara, and the broonie was so cross it turned itself into a giant and started to chase the Campbell off the island. A sliver of stone got in the broonies sandal and jagged his foot, he reached down and pulled it out, the stone was then thrown over the giants shoulder, it sailed over the water and landed at Beacharr, and is now one of the tallest standing stones in kintyre. x
flag flax fodder and frig
witchnettle
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby SmithD » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:34 pm

Just realised who "Malcy" may be. I think he will knows much more about the stone as it will be on his land- I think or Beachmore, but my dad may know stories(apparently most know him) or my granny, who is a local.

I'm a local lass from the west road, but the family may know more. Especially about the "brownie". I've heard that. But my granny did lives close to the stone, then in the village more perm.

Could look in to it - but Malcy will know more! :)
URL=http://www.glitterkiss.com]Image[/URL]
SmithD
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby hanban » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:45 pm

The standing stone is on Beacharr, not Beachmenach or Beachmore. The story i've heard is the one about the brownie. There is also a chaimbered cairn a few yards to the north of it, from which urns (named Beacharra ware) can be seen in the museum.
hanban
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby SmithD » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:29 am

I stand corrected - didn't realise it was as far along as that. :)
SmithD
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Malky » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:16 am

Just noticed this thread. :)

The Beacharr standing stone is the tallest in Kintyre at 5.03 metres. It was apparently used as a lunar observatory to calculate eclipses and other astronomical events. How that was done I haven't the foggiest :?

I've also heard the same story about the broonie that witchnettle mentioned above :D

As well as the chambered cairn to the north, there is an iron age fort to the south back along the ridge a bit.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local History and Discussion