Carradale Tearooms

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Carradale Tearooms

Postby Ticketty Boo! » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:31 pm

When I were a lad.................

1) The Glen - gone
2) Portnastorm - gone
3) The Ashbank - still there
4) Lochpark - gone
5) the last house on the left before the quay - think it was red corrugated iron - limeade ice drinks! - gone
6) McDougalls / MacMillans - gone

Have I missed any JD?
Ye'll huv hud yer tea?
Ticketty Boo!
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Carradale Tearooms

Postby bubbly jock » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:35 pm

Ticketty Boo! wrote:
Have I missed any JD?

I think your marbles have gone Ticketty, Would you naw be better asking some of us locals instead of a toonie immigrant who's too busy being a Grass Goblin, a Water fairy and a very busy member of the shore patrol. He's naw you're man for asking aboot tearooms up here. He's naw got time for tea. He refused a cup efter my third cut oh "silage" :wink:

Mind you, it was pure entertainment to see him in action last week I jeest came oot of Toy Town to see him flashing by wae blue lights on and the buttons popping on his multi purpose tunic. He was as proud as get oot. I felt pleased for him in his moment of glory.

How would we get on withoot men like him?

But a word of caution, wance a Toonie always a Toonie.

bubbly

ps I miss the juke box fae Lochpark
bubbly jock

Postby Ticketty Boo! » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:40 pm

The previous cheneration of Boos! used to camp at Port Righ and use the bath in the Loch Park toilet for abluting in. Several cups of coffee ordered and they would all troop to the loo one at a time with towel and shaving gear.

I got told a story about a tribe of them coming round for the fair fortnight in the early 60's. The Duchess of Hamilton was late in arriving at The Toon quay and there wasn't much time before the wee bus to Trumpton. Uncle Boo! had had a few refreshments on the steamer and was adamant that he wanted a game of darts in The Ailsa Bar before the bus journey.

The pub was stowed out and the list of names up for darts was about a dozen strong. Being a brave chap (and several sheets to the wind, my late relative grabbed a cloth, wiped all the names off in a wunner and wrote "Uncle Boo!" up on the board. Not only had he caused total uproar amongst the population, he had also written his own name on the board for everyone to see. A rammy of Fair Friday proportions ensued and the entire Boo! entourage had to run for it down the street with full camping gear, jump on the Trumpton bus and bribe the driver to go away early before the Toonies reached the bus to continue their "discussion".

Happy Days!
Ye'll huv hud yer tea?
Ticketty Boo!
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jdcarra » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:41 pm

Ticketty Boo! wrote:When I were a lad.................

1) The Glen - gone
2) Portnastorm - gone
4) Lochpark - gone
5) the last house on the left before the quay - think it was red corrugated iron - limeade ice drinks! - gone

Have I missed any JD?

You've got some memory Ticketty Boo, just confirmed your listing with the local beside me :lol: and all correct.

Just a coincidence, in the Carradale hotel lounge last Friday night got talking to an ex local (in with her elderly Aunt) and married to a toonie, her family had the tearoom at Lochpark. A long discussion followed on that topic and of the old times.

Now the picture below (courtesy of Gary's website) does not have the tearoom in it as it was not built then. Can you put a date on the pic TB or maybe BJ will get in before you? :roll:

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bochan Mor » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:53 pm

Ticketty Boo! wrote:When I were a lad.................

1) The Glen - gone
2) Portnastorm - gone
4) Lochpark - gone

Have I missed any JD?

Aye you've missed plenty.... Whit aboot Ibby's burger bar in the Quay carpark, the Heritage Centre, Ginny's Cove, the Bakehoose, the Portrigh Well, Hin's upturned boat, Tosh's Park Tearoom, The Sunadale Inn and every focsle in the ring-net fleet?

All this camping mallarky wae your family: Did you come from the same tribe as Sanyanya?
Bochan Mor (Son of Bochan Morar)

Copyright: Bochan Mor & less of his Cohorts at the Monument
Bochan Mor
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:17 am

jdcarra wrote:Now the picture below (courtesy of Gary's website) does not have the tearoom in it as it was not built then. Can you put a date on the pic TB or maybe BJ will get in before you? :roll: [/img]

It's not entirely clear but I think the postmark reads 1933, JD. Would that be about right?
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:54 am

Are you in CSI Beachcomber? you must be to figure that out!
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:45 am

4th gen Suthen' wrote:Are you in CSI Beachcomber? you must be to figure that out!

Not quite, but that's a long story.

As regards the photo, I just turned it over and had a look with my magnifying glass.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ticketty Boo! » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:55 am

If we're countin Foc'sles Bochan, I could have mentioned the forward galley of the guid ship Ticketty Boo! Many of Bruttain's hardy sons dined lavishly about her midshups. The stewards wer aalways ine the finest of trum. They had the ageelity aboot them you see.

Her owners are presently in negotiation with a formidable Argyll businessman regarding the possibility of a takeover. This may pave the way for Ticketty Boo! Enterprises Ltd to start their new boat hire and charter business from Port Righ. Around a dozen vessels are expected to be in use by the end of 2007. Negotiations are also underway to purchase the 7th Green of the golf course and adjacent land. A car park and restaurant is to be built on the North side of Port Righ Bay below the Golf course.
Ye'll huv hud yer tea?
Ticketty Boo!
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ticketty Boo! » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:35 pm

So what was the name of the tearoom that overlooked the quay then?
Ye'll huv hud yer tea?
Ticketty Boo!
Active Poster
Active Poster

Your at it now!

Postby Bochan Mor » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:01 pm

Ticketty Boo! wrote:So what was the name of the tearoom that overlooked the quay then?

Now Tickety, seeing how there was a family connection, and you would have spent a few days looking directly over it, you should well know the answer.

I would gie ye a 'bung' if 'ah' thought that you would stoop so 'low'.
Bochan Mor (Son of Bochan Morar)

Copyright: Bochan Mor & less of his Cohorts at the Monument
Bochan Mor
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ticketty Boo! » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:37 pm

I think you may chust hae a wee bit of the confusion aboot ye Bochan Mor? I dinnae hae ony family connections in Trumpton - chust freens.
Ye'll huv hud yer tea?
Ticketty Boo!
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Big Bob » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:16 pm

It wasn't a semi or tenement , it was kind of detached with one story
Big Bob
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Ticketty Boo! » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:22 am

You'll be telling me next that it rhymes with Jungle Crow?
Ye'll huv hud yer tea?
Ticketty Boo!
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Big Bob » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:23 pm

Correct!!
Big Bob
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Next

Return to Local History and Discussion