Last Call! Images of Argyll Colliery and Miners in Kintyre

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Last Call! Images of Argyll Colliery and Miners in Kintyre

Postby nimps » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:19 pm

Hello all

I am making a film about Kintyre's last mine: Argyll Colliery - a homage to the people who worked there and a labour of love which has been has been ongoing for the last two and half years and I am now hoping to finish the edit by the beginning of Dec 09 so this is a last appeal for images. Any one supplying images for the film will, of course, be credited.

I am still looking for the following:

Any photos of ex-workers at the age they were when they worked there (but not necessarily in working gear - just normal family pics will do).

Photos of Gala Day (games/bands/parade/buses with balloons, The Miners' Cup etc)

Photos of the miners football team

Photos of the miners' welfare building - any interior shots?

A photoMr Stevenson who was the Councillor who worked with the NCB to get sand for Dalintober Beach

Does anyone have photos of Jimmy Woodcock who was killed at the pit or does anyone know if he still has relations in the town?

Any photos of the pit buildings or underground

Any other appropriate material.....

I you think you can help out then please contact me - as I say I hope to wrap the film up by Dec for a Campbeltown Premier in the New Year so would be grateful for any further images... please ask your friends and family!!!

Many thanks
nimps
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Local History and Discussion