How to motivate a teenager starting running?

Details and discussion on the Half Marathon and 10k race being held in Campbeltown on Sunday 29th May 2016 at 10.30am plus general discussion about running in Kintyre! Or visit their website at www.mokrun.com

How to motivate a teenager starting running?

Postby lornamac » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:20 pm

Hi. I am doing the half marathon this year, having done a fair bit of running in the past. My 15 year old son, in a rash moment, has decided to train for the 10k for his Physical Activity part of Duke of Edinburgh Award. He is generally quite fit but has never done any serious running. I am concerned that he may be put off the first time he goes out and tries to sprint a couple of miles (which I am sure is the way he will start). Any tips on how to get him going more sensibly, and does anyone know of other kids training for the 10k (Tarbert or lochgilphead ??).
lornamac
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Tarbert Mags » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:38 pm

Why not get in touch with the Jog Scotland groups - there are ones in both Tarbert and Lochgilphead. These tend to be predominantly women but there are men as well. There may be extra forms etc required as he is under 16, but it should be OK. Try emailing jogscotland@argyll-bute.gov.uk for more info and advice on the local groups. At the very minimum this would give your son a structured training plan to follow, plus a bit of company for his training. There may even be other folk his age there.

Good Luck to you both with your training.
Tarbert Mags
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby DJD » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:44 pm

If you don't have much success with what Tarbert Mags suggests,why don't you become his coach and train together after gathering information to suit his potential.It should make and be fun for you both.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k Run