Running in the morning v's at night

Details and discussion on the Half Marathon and 10k race being held in Campbeltown on Sunday 29th May 2016 at 10.30am plus general discussion about running in Kintyre! Or visit their website at www.mokrun.com

Postby Tom B » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:51 am

I find it much harder to run in the morning than later in the day - not the getting out there - but the actual activity, and require much more warm up. Is this just age, or does anyone have any good tips?!
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:29 am

Tom B, l have heard having a quick shower befor you run in the morning helps,never tried it myself ,but running in the morning is supposed to get you ready for racing as most races do start in the morning.Also it has the advantage that you have done the session and the rest of the day is yours.

The only other thing l could think of is your hydration and sugar levels have dropped over night and might need topping up,thats my thoughts,although l could be talking a load of gobbly gook,and it could be just age,as you've have already said.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tom B » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:31 pm

DJD wrote: The only other thing l could think of is your hydration and sugar levels have dropped over night and might need topping up,thats my thoughts,although l could be talking a load of gobbly gook,and it could be just age,as you've have already said.

I'm hoping it's hydration and sugar levels rather than age! I'll try a top up as you suggest and report back!

Cheers
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:20 pm

Tom

I've also found it really hard to run in the morning--in fact I just don't do it now. I always put it down to a lack of preparation. I just got up, a quick tumbler of water and away. DJD obviously prepares much better. The last time I went early on a Sunday morning was with DJD, but I ended up really struggling, through lack of preparation, dehydration and a heavy Saturday afternoon :wink: Ended up walking home from Stewarton with my head spinning. Haven't been out early since that and it was about 18 months ago.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby sandra » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:41 am

Running in the morning could be more difficult because body temperature and lung capacity are thought to be at their lowest in the morning. Running Times magazine did an article on best times of day for running which can be found at http://runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=7567&c=2 (sorry dont know how to do link!)
I am (relatively) young and I struggle in the mornings, it takes me most of the run to warm up and settle into it. So its not just an age thing!!
sandra
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Running in the morning v's at night

Postby Tom B » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:21 am

Sandra great article - thanks for posting

sandra wrote:I am (relatively) young and I struggle in the mornings, it takes me most of the run to warm up and settle into it. So its not just an age thing!!
great - phew!
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:03 pm

Good article Sandra,we are all in the know now and l look forward to 35 thousand struggling runners at LFM first thing on the 13th April, l might even pick up a place or two if get up earlier than some of them.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

night-time

Postby vanjan25 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:21 pm

I'm 17, enjoy running, and i find it can be, in the morning, a struggle, the muscles feel too tight, and it's harder to warm up in the obviously cooler temperatures.
Running at night, when i feel more awake, means i can sleep more easily after having done a heavy period of running, at least i've always felt this is the choice time for me.
vanjan25
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:18 pm

I must be the exception that proves the rule. I can't run at all at night, whenever I tried it I could never get to sleep afterwards.

When doing long runs in the morning I set the alarm for an hour or so before I'm due to get up and have a good drink of water, then back to sleep. As soon as I get up I eat straight away, normally porridge covered in honey (honey for instant energy and porridge so it would kick in later) then I'd do a wee bit of warming up, then away.

I did take this to the extreme once, because I'd missed my long run at the weekend, and somehow thought it would be sensible to get up at 5am and run 21 miles before I went into work on the Monday. Needless to say this turned out to be a ridiculous idea, and I was absolutely fecked for duration. Have had the sense never to do that again!

So, I always like to run first thing, as DJD says it gets it out of the way early! Anyway, Mrs Sheik has too many chores for me to do at night time! :(

Vanjan & Sandra - good first posts - welcome to the Forum :D
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k Run