Today's MOKRUN 2008

Details and discussion on the Half Marathon and 10k race being held in Campbeltown on Sunday 29th May 2016 at 10.30am plus general discussion about running in Kintyre! Or visit their website at www.mokrun.com

Re: Today's MOKRUN 2008

Postby Ileach B » Mon May 26, 2008 8:11 am

What a day yesterday, I think the only bit I enjoyed was the warm up and the ceilidh! For such a lovely day, the conditions were horrific! The heat was so intense along Low Askomil, then as you went along the front I thought I was going to be blown away! And to top it all off going along Meadows my stomach began to churn, and not just from the thought of running it! Round the Royal corner and the only think could think of was get to the end! I never heard or seen the crowd at the end I thought I was going to die!

My first 10k, and I'm trying not to let it put me off. We ran 1hr 7mins, which is slower than I would have liked. But am just going to have to get out and carry on training for Glasgow in September! :oops

But every year, the whole day goes without a hitch. Well organised and a very good turn out!
Ileach B
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby rainbowsprite » Mon May 26, 2008 9:55 am

Congratulations to all involved in organising the MOK run. Well done to everyone who took part.

What a brilliant day and night - the Wee Toon Tellers and the Pipe Band kept everyone going until the wee small hours :D
Hope not too many sore heads today :shock: :?:
rainbowsprite
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Annie M » Mon May 26, 2008 11:34 am

Was a great day yesterday although like Ileach I really struggled and didnt get as good a time as I hoped but considering it was our 1st 10K Im quite happy! Slightly sore today - feet from the run and arms from strip the willow last night!! :lol:

Thanks to all the organisers and well done to everyone who took part!! :D
Annie M
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby peenkles21 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:53 pm

Just want to echo the sentiments already on here and thank everyone who gave up their time to make the event happen yesterday.

Had an excellent day, really enjoyed the race,minus the wind! Cant wait for the next one!!!!
Zinedine Zidane, who remarked the following after Makélélé' was sold and Beckham was bought:
Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?
peenkles21
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Carmen » Mon May 26, 2008 6:28 pm

What a great day. Thanks to all the organisers, marshals and the crowd support. Enjoyed my first 10k and chuffed that I made it the whole way round.

Thanks again and well done to everyone.
Carmen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Pans Lass » Mon May 26, 2008 8:17 pm

What a fantastic weekend form start to finish. A huge thank you to all the organisers, marshals and all the supporters who came along to cheer and encourage us on . What a great atmosphere which continued right on into the night .

As for the race itself, I have got to echo what rabmacd and iceblue said, it was a tough one battleing against that wind. The first 7 miles for me was okay but after the beach section (which was tough enough) running into the wind for the remaining 6 miles proved a real challenge for me. At mile 10 I realised I was not going to reach my target of completing my first half marathon under the two hour mark so I just continued at the steady pace I was at and kept saying to myself dont give up now. By mile 11 the legs were getting realy tired and i was nearly greetin as I mumbled to myself NEVER AGAIN, NEVER AGAIN, however when I saw the mile 12 mark I knew I was on the home stretch and nothing was going to stop me now. The best feeling in the world was when I was on the last leg , running down the main street, round the Royal corner, and seeing that finish line up ahead knowing I had just completed my first half marathon . 8) It sure was a great feeling even though i think it will be my last. :shock: Think I will stick to 10k's . :wink:

The ceildih was brilliant too even though I felt like just going home and going to bed due to sheer exhaustion but some how I seemed to have found that second wind and I managed to dance the night away. I wonder if the few drinks I had contributed to this factor. :wink: So today the legs and knees are sore so not sure if it was the dancing or the running that made them sore.Probably a combination of both. :shock:

Happy to say I am going to take a week off from running and give the body a well deserved rest. :)

Great reading everyone else race report.
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Mon May 26, 2008 9:31 pm

whizzer wrote:Like to echo what everyone has said re the race organisation and atmosphere. Once again Tom and everyone connected with the race have delivered a truly spectacular and memorable race. Thanks very much to all. :D :D

I am going to commit myself to the half marathon next year (as long as hale and hearty!) as I found the 10K so tough, but am completely in awe of everyone who completes the 1/2M particularly running into the wind.

The 10K is a fantastic course, flat fast and I love the turn points, giving you a chance to wave and cheer on friends and family. Great big thanks to all the town folk who were out and encouraging and clapping the runners on. :wink:

The melee on the front line at the start of the race however is something you get sucked into, thinking these old legs surely still have some fast twitch fibres left in them. Rabidcabbage fell about laughing at me as he saw me sidle up to the front row! Folks were off so quick that the race car was in danger of being overtaken and had to respond like Lewis Hamilton on the front row!

However, by the first turn settled down into a fast pace and was watching in disbelief as Calum M and a host of other runners disappeared into the distance. However, my own race tactic of slowly catching the runners in front meant by the turn managed to catch up with the group with Mr Turner first lady and 4th gen Suthen' . In some ways this was a mistake as then Mr Turner surged off and as we were then into the wind, I had to follow and slowly reeled him back. The rest of the run out to the second turn was so tough with MR T repeating his tactic, then on my shoulder appeared the first lady having a fantastic run leg.

What a relief at the second turn - the piper playing was tremendous, but then with the wind behind you really noticed the heat - and looking back, so many other racers in close order - brilliant effort from everyone. Mr T continued his running pattern back surge, coast - how does he do that. I thought I might have broken him on the turn up the lane as I really dug in there, but no as soon as I reached the top he surged ahead!

Then disaster struck for MR T at the next road junction he turned to early me and the Marshalling yelling at him and he finally heard, but by which time he was 50+m behind. Well what a fantastic effort he put in then. I had the old lance Armstrong Mantra in my mind -"pain is only temporary - giving up is for ever" and threw everything into holding my place, turning up main street into the wind and then approaching the finish line - 50m, who appears on my shoulder MR T, tried a sprint finish....but could not sustain. Superlative response and effort by Mr Turner to remedy his mistake and pip me at the post. We were then Shortly followed by the rest of our second group of top 10 runners including the first lady, 4th gen Suthen' etc.

Never thought I would get under 40mins today, but what a race, fantastic performance by everyone, thanks for pulling me and pushing me along. I am sure I am never as tired as this after a sprint Triathlon!!! (For the anoraks out there my Garmin had my HR at the top of Zone 5 all race)

Then to cap it all my good lady wife Hazel, put in fantastic run to smash her PB from last year with a 54.30 and she showed me how to really do a sprint finish, with an amazing burst of speed to overhaul the guy in front!

Fantastic race, weather, notwithstanding the wind was just perfect, as the pictures show and the sandwiches, pastries, goody bag, burgers ….hit the spot. Brilliant many thanks – Just realised how much I have written – hope it does not bore you too much. I would certainly be interested in reading other folks race stories.

Cheers and see you next year. :wink:

Great report Whizzer, I saw Gary T going the wrong way and heard you and the marshall shouting him back

I am glad it is not just me of the 10k runners who found it absolutely exhausting....I really do find 10ks hard going and yesterday with the wind and getting pulled along by Hector, Whizzer and GT was even worse than usual.....Calum Morrison was so far ahead I cant say he pulled me along!

I did not wear my heart rate monitor but it must have been up near max in the sprint finish....and most of the race!

I'm really not certain I can do that again....does not seem like a very attractive proposition at this moment anyway....but I have committed myself to the Paisley 10k on 31st August................ :? :shock: :?
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Tue May 27, 2008 8:31 am

The 10k course was really tough on Sunday, the heat of the sun got to me on Low Askomil and then the wind on Kilkerran Road, made me feel I was running on the spot :oops: :oops: :oops: Had a coughing fit half way round when a jelly baby decided to go down the wrong way (not a pretty sight). Tried at the end to form a sprint, but with the wind on my face again, it zapped any energy I had left so my legs just went on autopilot to the finish.

Looking back now, had a great day, organisation and goodie bags were first class and sorry couldn't make the ceilidh.

Fiona 28 and Pans Lass, I spied you after the race, but you were both surrounded by all your fans, so will catch up with you soon.
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby DJD » Tue May 27, 2008 10:21 am

Well,it was a whirl-wind of a day,managed my worst ever H/M time(Ninja famous two words were said a few times ,l can assure you) and could'nt think of a better place to achieve it,it was a great day from the morning to the night.

Thankyou to everyone and well done to all that were involved in( whatever small part you played) the running of well organised event.

l loved listening to the highs and the lows of well told stories of the day,and what was nice, people still had a smile telling me of their woe's.

Fantastic stuff MoK 2008,and Campbeltown you do know how to party.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Tue May 27, 2008 10:21 am

Well,it was a whirl-wind of a day,managed my worst ever H/M time(Ninja famous two words were said a few times ,l can assure you) and could'nt think of a better place to achieve it,it was a great day from the morning to the night.

Thankyou to everyone and well done to all that were involved in( whatever small part you played) the running of well organised event.

l loved listening to the highs and the lows of well told stories of the day,and what was nice, people still had a smile telling me of their woe's.

Fantastic stuff MoK 2008,and Campbeltown you do know how to party.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Tue May 27, 2008 10:26 am

You can say that again Donald!
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bradford » Tue May 27, 2008 12:26 pm

I'd like to thank all the folk involved with organising and executing the race. It was an excellent course and it would have been hellishly fast if it wasn't for the wind and heat, it was still quick none the less. Three of us from my club came up to run and we'll definitely be singing the race's praises to the rest of my runners.

If anybody has any links to galleries of photographs containing photos of us (Glasgow University H&H), let me know (captain-handh@gusa.gla.ac.uk), it'd be highly appreciated.

Thanks again.
Daniel Bradford.
Club Captain
Glasgow University Hares & Hounds
Bradford
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby TB » Tue May 27, 2008 1:04 pm

This is the third time I've tried to post this. Kept it short and sweet, unlike Whizzer's essay!! :lol:

Thoroughly enjoyable day, even managed to take half a minute off last years time.........well every second counts. :lol:
Did anyone else get caught out at the start, didn't know we were off and running, the guy beside me was still tying his laces!! .........Right from the start my legs felt heavy but I managed to get into my stride and kept a steady pace until the 5k point.............that was when the Force 10 hit........I could have sworn I was running on the spot( just like Katfer :) :) )
It was a welcome relief to reach the turning point and I looked forward to having the wind at my back to give me a much needed boost. It didn't last long though by the time I got to the top of the 'cutting' my legs were lead!...........Meadows Ave was a slog and I was hoping to accelerate on the wee doon hill towards Witchburn, not to be.........the wind was back!!!
The brain was saying ........."step up a gear you're on the home straight" but the tank was empty......... The finishing line was a welcome sight.........Even BJ managed to give me a mention this year :wink: :wink: (never one to hold a grudge!!)

Thanks to all who lined the route to cheer us on, to the marshals who kept us right, and Tom, John, Hendrie, Elaine and the rest of the MOKrun committee for organising a fab event, gutted that I missed the pasta party and the ceilidh for the second year running :cry: :cry:

Superb atmosphere, superb day!!
TB
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Passin Thru » Tue May 27, 2008 10:17 pm

Just to add my thanks to the organising committee, marshals and all the other volunteers who made this event an excellent advert for kintyre, you've surpassed yourselves year on year, long may it continue.

The wind was brutal coming off the beach, so one wee request for next year can you turn the wind machine down to a gentle breeze but if you can't manage that, then a north or north wester would suffice :D
Passin Thru
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby elainemck » Tue May 27, 2008 10:24 pm

Good to hear all your comments/feedback on the race. We'll try our best to sort out the wind next year - but no promises :)

I think me and the committee are going to start taking turns to run it each year as it's actually quite disappointing on the day seeing everyone, getting caught up in the excitement and not getting to run ourselves.

I spoke to Roberta tonight and she's still feeling unwell and hasn't got her sight back fully yet which is really horrible. I hope she makes a speedy recovery and back on track for next year as she was doing terrific time.

Any comments/suggestions for next year feel free to email/post to me as I'm sure we'll start to arrange it soon enough, it won't be long coming round!

Well done again to everyone who took part, supporters and our marshals who we are ever so grateful too, it couldn't happen without you all.

Thanks also to Linda who played a huge part in securing our wonderful Adidas tshirts! I have no IDEA how we're going to sustain that for next year!
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k Run