Around Campbeltown.

Post your photos from around Kintyre. Scenery, events, personal, people, wildlife etc

Re: Around Campbeltown.

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:42 am

Here are some photos I took around Crosshill Loch on Saturday 9th January during the cold snap we had. I didn't want to post the ones at the time showing the loch frozen over for obvious reasons but will now as it has thawed out. I've never seen the loch completely frozen over so I took the opportunity and headed up early to get some photos.

Really should have managed better photos but my fingers were bloody freezing!!! :-)

Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobh » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:50 am

Bloody fab, thanks Dave
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Lossit Lass » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:04 am

that IS amazing. & I especially like the 1st pic, SCD. very pretty :)
Suppose they held a war and nobody came?
Lossit Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jdcarra » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:10 am

Your a hardy man SCD out that early :wink: .

Like the third pic :) .
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:44 am

What do you mean, SCD, that you should have got better photos? They`re great, especially the first one, that`s beautiful.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby westport321 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:41 pm

What camera are you using..... I'm in the market for a new digital camera. my minolta A2 has lost the use of its EVF and I cant see that little screen well enough to get a decent shot, really dont want to go digital SLR. So what is everyone using and what are the recommendations?????? maybe we need a new topic here??
Head Scientist, Dept of Mad Scientists
westport321
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby mrn » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:19 pm

Beautiful photos Davie. We walked up by Loch Ruan and Auchalochy in the New Year and they were completely frozen over too. Didn't venture on however!
mrn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Crowth » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:06 pm

That third pic really does it for me, SCD. The pink dawn creeping over Davaar is stunning. That said, they're all great shots, the colour of the sky in the first one is fantastic too. Love the decision to delay posting until after the thaw, very tactical. Lol!

I tried to make my way up to Crosshill loch last sunday (17th) but I got erm.......ahem....lost. Never made it. I'm gonna try a different approach this Sunday. I now see where I went wrong so this time I'm going to ask directions from someone who actually knows where it is!

Thanks for posting!
Remember, a penguin is for life not just for elevenses.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Pete Reek » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:39 am

Great pics SCD.

Did I see you along the Dual one day recently with the new camera? If so, I haven't seen any from that location on here yet.
Maybe some time soon?
Some days I jeest donno hoots hoot an hoots naw hoot.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Location: Ur we therr yet mammy? Naw we'll be therr in a wee while or two.

Postby arlenemaclean » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:14 am

:D More fantastic photos, these are stunning David.
arlenemaclean
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby jdcarra » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:41 am

Pete Reek wrote:Great pics SCD.

Did I see you along the Dual one day recently with the new camera? If so, I haven't seen any from that location on here yet.
Maybe some time soon?

Here's some with the snow on 23 Dec 2009.

Ferry Terminal end of the dual carriage way at the mini roundabout.
Standing by the corner of the DHSS building looking across to the harbour.
Road junction at the Burnet building.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:07 am

Crowth wrote:Love the decision to delay posting until after the thaw, very tactical. Lol!
Yes, didn't want to promote the fact the loch was frozen over because of kids. When I was looking at the loch completely frozen over (and it was at least 5 or 6 inches thick) it reminded me of the only time I had been on the loch when it was frozen as a kid and it was only a bit of it. It was thawing as when you got to the edge you had to jump to get off. I look back in horror and disbelief now! :o

Crowth wrote:I tried to make my way up to Crosshill loch last sunday (17th) but I got erm.......ahem....lost. Never made it. I'm gonna try a different approach this Sunday. I now see where I went wrong so this time I'm going to ask directions from someone who actually knows where it is!

:lol: :lol: As a beginner (and so you don't get lost again) I'd recommend you go up Tomaig Road (if you head out past the Creamery and take your first left that is Tomaig Road) and drive all the way up past the housing scheme you'll come to a small brae that goes up by a graveyard (it is called the English Graveyard) on the right hand side and park your car in the lay-by on the left. Then walk to the top of the brae where there is a house(s) called Narrowfield and continue through on to the track, through the gate and walk along for about 5 minutes and you'll be at the Loch. The farm road/forestry track continues all the way above the loch where you will see signage etc for the Bheinn Ghuilean (sp?) trail. Lots of wee tracks again so don't get lost noo. :D
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ex campbeltown lady » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:48 pm

Crowth
A usefull tip if you try going there again. Have a look on Google Earth - the paths up and past the loch are really clear - I even printed it off using screen capture last time i was there.
ex campbeltown lady
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Crowth » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:43 am

SCD

Thanks for the directions. The route you describe was my preferred way until an ex-friend suggested I try a different one. I'm far from a beginner which makes getting myself misplaced on a relatively small hill even more embarrassing for me. Anyway, we all know how that turned out and the least said, the better :oops: Unfortunately, today has been claimed by wood chopping related activities but as soon as I get the time I'll be off up past the English Cemetery and hopefully I'll be able to post some half decent shots from my walk :D

ex campbeltown lady wrote:A usefull tip if you try going there again. Have a look on Google Earth - the paths up and past the loch are really clear - I even printed it off using screen capture last time i was there.

Ex-CL

That is an excellent suggestion. I already have the OS mapping for the area, but one small downside to not having trespass laws is that rights of way are unmapped because there are none. I will certainly give Google Earth a try. Many thanks.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Crowth » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:29 pm

Looking down from the Beinn Guileann walk.

Town

North end of town

The quays

Trench Point

Macringans Point and Arran

Davaar and HMS Campbeltown
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

PreviousNext

Return to Photos from around Kintyre