Kintyre from Co Antrim

Post your photos from around Kintyre. Scenery, events, personal, people, wildlife etc

Kintyre from Co Antrim

Postby Fergaltoo » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:49 pm

First time using this to post pictures. Heres a view from the top of Glenarriff Glen, Co Antrim. The village of Waterfoot is in the foreground. The Keil Hotel is centre of picture and the cluster of Southend to the right. Squint if necessary....cheers Feargal.
Fergaltoo
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Mary G » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:30 pm

Thanks for that Feargal

It always amazes me how high Kintyre looks. Having grown up looking at Antrim from the other side, you somehow expect a sort of mirror image, and it is not.

That was a clear day ... today I take it?

Cheers, Mary
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby linda_j » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:58 pm

I have taken loads of pictures from the Mull across to ireland and I must say its nice to see one taken from Ireland for a change....
linda_j
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:17 am

I'm really surprised at the size of the mountains in the background. What are those? Love the pic.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:20 am

Bobbie En Tejas wrote:I'm really surprised at the size of the mountains in the background. What are those? Love the pic.

Bobbie

That is the Isle of Arran which lies off to the right of the Kintyre peninsula. The north part of the island has some high hills/mountains with Goat Fell being the highest at 874mtrs.
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:26 am

Thanks jd.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kevin Mc » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:38 pm

Excellent picture 8) Never seen one from that perspective before. Was the photo taken with a telephoto lens?
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:55 pm

Yep, that is great, I would never have thought Arran would be towering over us like that!
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby witchnettle » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:58 pm

its easy to see why people came over in boats to settle in kintyre many years ago, its only just across the water, i am descended from four rathlin families who moved over in the 1700's and have discovered that many of their other descendents still live there now, i am hoping to head over there next summer for a camping holiday with the kids, and one of the things i am most looking forward to is seeing kintyre from antrim. so thanks for this picture is really lovely x
flag flax fodder and frig
witchnettle
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Fergaltoo » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:40 pm

Thank you for your feedback folks...yep Mary it was taken yesterday afternoon but I have seen it a lot clearer than that. Now that I've managed Photobucket ( Thanks Malky ) I'll try and post a few more but I wish I could get it smaller???? The Lens I used was a Nikon - 70 - 300 mm Hopefully next time its clear I'll post a couple more from further round towards the Mull Light. I'd love to see the Antrim Coast from the Mull but the day I drove 180 + miles to see it - I couldn't! Aw well....
Fergaltoo
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby linda_j » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:27 pm

Image here is a pic taking from the Mull in July this year..... You can also see RathlinIsland.....
linda_j
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:05 am

Lovely pictures, both of you. The old Kiel Hotel really stands out well.

Hope to get down that end and shoot a few frames myself sometime, while the kids are on holiday.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Arguing with someone on the internet is like mud wrestling with a pig.
After a while you realize the pig likes it." - Anon.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:47 pm

Fergaltoo, there is an option in photobucket to reduce the size the photo. Resizing to 800 x 600 would fit I'm sure, but not sure if that would be too small to see the hotel.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Jeanette » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:44 pm

just click on it.

You can do this in photobucket without altering the original. Hope you don't mind me copying your photo Feargal Great photo. Sorry to say I have never been in Ireland. Hubby's ancestors are from Rathlin. Might go some day.

jeanette
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Fergaltoo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:02 pm

Great pic Linda - I recognise Fair Head and maybe Knocklayde Mountain overlooking Ballycastle - I'm more or less straight across from Sanda and Southend. Thanks for the tip to resize, Bobby / Jeanette, I "think" I have the hang of it now...next clear frosty day I'll try again with a slightly different view..
thanks a lot
Feargal.
Fergaltoo
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Next

Return to Photos from around Kintyre