Muasdale

Post your photos from around Kintyre. Scenery, events, personal, people, wildlife etc

Muasdale

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:36 pm

Some photos taken at Muasdale on the 27th July 2008.

Wonderful wee place is Muasdale and certainly took me back to my youth when we went crab hunting. :mrgreen:

The village of Muasdale is situated on the west coast of Kintyre, 15 miles north of Campbeltown and 23 miles south of Tarbert. Muasdale is an ideal location for exploring Kintyre and the Islands with the ferry to the beautiful island of Gigha only 2 miles away, the ferry to Islay, Jura and Colonsay a further 13 miles north at Kennacraig and on the east , at Claonaig is the ferry to Arran. Muasdale enjoys wonderful uninterrupted views across to Gigha, Islay and Jury and the sunsets are breathtaking.
The village takes its name from the Norse mungasdale, the valley of the monks. In 1263 King Haakon of Norway was anchored with his long ship off the coast of Gigha when his priest died. The body was put ashore at Muasdale for the Saddell Abbey monks to carry his body over the hills for burial.

Taken from http://www.kintyreaccommodation.com/map ... /index.htm

Numberplease may enjoy these. 8)

Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Muasdale

Postby numberplease » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:14 am

Fantastic photos from my favourite place on earth! They were taken the day after we arrived for this years visit, and in fact, in your second picture, I can see our caravan. At this end of the site, there are 2 tents with a minibus between them, immediately after them is our van. That was the start of another 2 great weeks in Kintyre, despite the weather, but it was glorious that day.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:18 pm

numberplease wrote:Fantastic photos from my favourite place on earth! They were taken the day after we arrived for this years visit, and in fact, in your second picture, I can see our caravan. At this end of the site, there are 2 tents with a minibus between them, immediately after them is our van. That was the start of another 2 great weeks in Kintyre, despite the weather, but it was glorious that day.

Small world 8) Was there for about 4 hours. It's a great wee place is Muasdale - great memories there as a kid and nothing has changed much. More rocks on the beach but still a great beach for the kids. Caravan park looks great these days - very well kept and of course there is the best wee country shop anywhere! There's not much they don't have.

Adrian and Alison at the Caravan Park keep this wee blog which is always interesting to keep up on. 8)

http://muasdalereports.blogspot.com/
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:07 am

Muasdale blog, first place I visit each day.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:41 am

Ship called Dignity wrote:
Adrian and Alison at the Caravan Park keep this wee blog which is always interesting to keep up on. 8)

http://muasdalereports.blogspot.com/

What a great blog and some very good photos, especially the sunsets. I'll need to move my caravan up there for a spell :wink: .

Many memories of Muasdale with the Mitchells, McDonald and Semple :) .
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ceartas » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:36 pm

When did the wind turbines appear on Gigha?

Marion
ceartas
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Malky » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:52 pm

If I recall, it was at the end of 2004 and they started producing electricity in Jan/Feb 2005.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Photos from around Kintyre