Did I see HMS Ark Royal yesterday?

Post your photos from around Kintyre. Scenery, events, personal, people, wildlife etc

Did I see HMS Ark Royal yesterday?

Postby Crowth » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:02 pm

Early yesterday evening I climbed the hill on Island Davaar. The air was clear and I could see for miles. Looking (what I think was) south, I could see a ship on the horizon and used it to enhance the composition of a shot. This one:

Later at home, I zoomed in on the ship out of curiosity and thought the silhouette bore more than a passing resemblance to an aircraft carrier. So I Googled 'Aircraft carriers' and found a few profile pictures of Ark Royal to compare.

See what you think:

Remember, a penguin is for life not just for elevenses.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Did I see HMS Ark Royal yesterday?

Postby Ross » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:43 pm

yup goin by the shape of the superstructure and the ski ramp on the front its one of the carriers, not sure whos around at the mo as im down south but sure some of the sailor types could tell you as there is a ship tracker for the clyde area showin whats in the area, just cant remember where you find it.
Ross
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Bonnie Lass » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:57 pm

It's been sitting off Islay for a couple of days - but doesn't show on ship tracker ----- shhhhhh top secret.

http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=NorthChannel
Bonnie Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EileenH » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:57 pm

There was a ship like that in at the NATO jetty at the beginning of the week. It came in with two tugs, refuelled and went away again so it was only in for a few hours. I thought it was HMS Campbeltown back at first but it was different number on the side.
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby ex campbeltown lady » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:22 pm

Had a look on this site tonight- http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=NorthChannel -and if you type Ark Royal into the search there is a way of seeing its whereabouts over five days by selecting NAME and then HISTORY. At the moment she is off the Mull.
ex campbeltown lady
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Crowth » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:20 am

EileenH wrote:There was a ship like that in at the NATO jetty at the beginning of the week. It came in with two tugs, refuelled and went away again so it was only in for a few hours. I thought it was HMS Campbeltown back at first but it was different number on the side.

Could that have been F81, HMS Sutherland? She's very similar to Campbeltown and I believe she was lurking about last weekend.
Remember, a penguin is for life not just for elevenses.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EileenH » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:35 pm

Yes it was F81. It wasn't in for long though. Just long enough to let the crew go for a wee jog I think!
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Photos from around Kintyre