Beach Walks

New feature to the forum aimed at encouraging you to share your knowledge of walks throughout Kintyre.

Re: Beach Walks

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:31 pm

EMDEE wrote::lol: Back on thread now.

I remember a trip to the Einnans that was a bit of a learning experience. I went with our three sons a number of years ago, and left the car at Glenahanty. We took a route up off the track beween Gartnacopaig and Largiebaan steadings and over the summit of Cnoc Moy and straight down Inneans Glen. Reasonably straightforward so far. :D

We overstayed our welcome a bit at the bay, and left at about 6.00pm. I intended to take the same route back, but giving in to complaints about the seemingly never ending upward trek on Cnoc Moy, I decided to try the longer, but less taxing route round the side of the hill, and turned in an inland direction. Reasonable idea so far, until it began to get dark, and landmarks were no longer visible. Next idea was to head downwards into the glen between The Slate and Cnoc Moy. More by good luck than planning we came upon the ruin of Gleneadardacrock, and I then knew which direction I needed to go to get back to Glenahanty. From there to Glenahanty took about an hour and a half as we negotiated our way through acres of six foot bracken, over fences, and all kinds of dense vegetation. Luckily the moon came out during this time and threw a bit of light on our endeavours. :D

It was 11.30pm when we got back to the car, and we had then to go to Machribeg Caravan Site where we were staying. Mrs. Emdee was close to calling out mountain rescue. :?

I can assure you it was tea, rather than malt that we were looking for at the end of that trek.

If it had been an outing of a youth organisation I'd have been in deep trouble. :oops:

Lesson. Make sure your return journey is done in daylight. :D

Blimey!I think that I will stay on the beach! :shock:
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:34 pm

Govangirl wrote:No excuse in the eyes of the law! Send those poor weans the Childline number!

"Character building"! A bit late now anyway. This was 12 years ago.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:25 am

Gleneadardacrock, referred to above, has been empty since 1930.

According to Angus Martin's Kintyre Country Life, it was the loneliest shepherd's cottage in Kintyre, being surrounded by hills and out of sight of any other habitation.

Apart from this, it has the most unpronouncable name to those seeing it for the first time. It is derived from the Gaelic and simply means "the valley between two hills" (a pretty obvious place for a valley to be)

Like other ruined cottages throughout Kintyre, it is a skeleton of the past, and symbolic of the changes in the rural economy and agricultural practices through the centuries.

Glenahanty, which is more accessible by road (quite a rough road) is also in a ruinous state, although it was vacated in the more recent past. (1960s?)

Places like this, and their associated history, add a dimension to the value of walks in Kintyre. :D

Maybe this is more of a topic for the History section?
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:58 am

Roger, the walk from Carradale to Torrisdale, via Waterfoot and the shore, is pleasant and not too taxing. Again, a little bit of rock scrambling, following part of the route of the Kintyre Way. Likewise from Grogport along the coast to Carradale harbour or just out to Carradale Point and back from the beach. See if you can find the geocache.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Arguing with someone on the internet is like mud wrestling with a pig.
After a while you realize the pig likes it." - Anon.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:31 am

Thanks Beachcomber. :)
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby petewick » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:13 pm

[quote="EMDEE"]Gleneadardacrock, referred to above, has been empty since 1930.

Apart from this, it has the most unpronouncable name to those seeing it for the first time. It is derived from the Gaelic and simply means "the valley between two hills" (a pretty obvious place for a valley to be)

quote]

Pronounced something like Glen- er- thra-crock.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:28 pm

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/452593

I've heard a few very different pronunciations over the years. Maybe somebody could post a phonetic version using the original gaelic pronunciation?
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Walking in Kintyre