Dog walking areas

New feature to the forum aimed at encouraging you to share your knowledge of walks throughout Kintyre.

Dog walking areas

Postby nua » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:48 pm

Hi y'all. I'm new in town and don't know anyone, also unfamiliar with good places to walk the dog. I live in Drumlemble and have to put the dog in the car and drive somewhere in order to let her have a good run off the lead without fear of scaring the livestock. So far ive tried The Gauldrons, which i love but there are occassionally sheep there. Although my dog isn't the slightest bit interested in livestock I know i can't risk her scaring them, especially as she's usually gadding about after rabbits there. The beach at Machrihanish is also out because its too near the golf course and if i let her off the lead she sometimes skirts the green (again after rabbits!) and I don't want to risk being shouted at by angry golfers. Westport is brilliant but still involves driving there every day, as does Benn Ghuillean. So if anybody out there has any suggestions for other local areas where a friendly energetic dog (and her owner) can run about freely without fear of cars and animals please do drop me a line. Many thanks.
nua
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: Dog walking areas

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Try Grogport or Carradale :)
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby smiles » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:53 pm

I think staying at Drumlemble you will always have to travel. Southend beach is good for walking the dog.
smiles
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby numberplease » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:38 pm

Muasdale beach as well
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:51 pm

Drive past the turn off to the gauldrons and carry on up the hill to the top. There's a forestry road out to a loch and a ruined farmhouse called Killypole. There are 2 different walks, one starting out uphill and the other quite flat.
Welcome to the area :)
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby numberplease » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:53 am

Ah, now that`s the kind of information that I can`t impart, because I`ve only been as a holidaymaker, so don`t know of these places. Wish I lived there as well!
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:43 am

numberplease wrote:Ah, now that`s the kind of information that I can`t impart, because I`ve only been as a holidaymaker, so don`t know of these places. Wish I lived there as well!

Me too. :(
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby nua » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:37 pm

Hi all, many thanks for the information, its all been very useful, this is a great forum. Im loving the area too!!!
nua
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby WC1 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:37 am

Muasdale beach as well

Watch out for the free-range poultry though - the owner of the house beside the church gets a bit shirty if the dog chases the hens :oops: . My mutt really enjoys Saddell, but that's a drive from Drumlemble too.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ninja Mania » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:32 am

Hi nua, since your residing in my village, I can give you a couple of suggestions.
1: If you walk over the main road towards the school, you will come to a wee single track road on your left, known locally as the Brintlane, you can walk right round it and back onto the main road just below the Kilkivan quarry. Its just over 3 miles and there is no traffic on it, apart from maybe a tractor now and again.

2:There is a road up the back of Drumlemble which takes you right up to Killipool loch, there is loads of fields for the dog to run mad in, just make sure there are no animals in them first.
When or if you get to the loch, there is a forestry road that runs right back down to Machrihanish village (thats not mine :lol: ) where you can take the main road back home, total circuit is just under 7 miles.

Thats just 2 places to go without having to drive.
Do you like living in MY VILLAGE? :D :D
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pete Reek » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:10 pm

You're village?

Ur you naw a "wee toonie" noo? An enniwi it's naw Brintlane. That's too fancy! Hoots wrang wi plain owld "The Bruntlin" the same as thase yins that leev in "my village" prunounce it?

2 weeks in the toon an yur a snottery already.
Some days I jeest donno hoots hoot an hoots naw hoot.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Location: Ur we therr yet mammy? Naw we'll be therr in a wee while or two.

Return to Walking in Kintyre