Summer League

Fixtures, scores, details of your club etc - also see www.southkintyresportscouncil.com

Summer League

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Mon May 30, 2005 7:17 pm

Any news from the meeting last night?
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ranald » Mon May 30, 2005 8:47 pm

Wasn't there but as far as I know it looks like there will be seven teams in the league and it is due to start next Tuesday.

There's another meeting on Thursday night to make the final arrangements.
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Summer League

Postby Sport » Mon May 30, 2005 9:59 pm

Yes the final meeting will be held this Thursday at 8.30pm in the Argyll Hotel, Campbeltown.

So far there are 5 teams:-

The Milanos
Beef Utd
Campbeltown Boys Youth
The Vets
Meadows

Still hoping to get two more teams on of which is Southend!! Anyone know anything?

League is due to start next Tuesday with games being played each Tuesday and Wednesday evening. If we get 7 teams we will be able to play each othe home and away (thinking of Southend home and away to make things equal)

Still trying to draw things together right enough and anyone who would like to sponsors a team, a ball or the league please let us know!!

On another note I was approached today regarding footballs - 10 Champion League footballs for £90.

Please remember this THURSDAY is the last chance to enter your team!
Please visit the Sports Council's new website and check out our latest news! http://www.southkintyresportscouncil.com
Sport
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Tue May 31, 2005 6:48 am

It is not for me to say, and I hope I am wrong, but I just cant see how my good buddy Sandy can get a viable Southend team. He is probably hoping that some of the older guys from the days of Southend DOMINATION :P :lol: will play but I certainly wont be one of them.....just cant play anymore. I do know S is very keen and good luck to him.

I remember why the last good Kintyre League folded.... around '96/'97Campbeltown Utd took all the good players :x won every game by a large margin....skunnered everyone else.........we could just about match them for a while but they just strengthened again to make sure we couldn't. A shame, a real shame..........hope that does not happen this time.

I remember the great days of the league, from about '77 to '82......by the '83 season things had changed and things were in decline.

Last day in '78 4 teams had the chance to win. We were playing Tarbert Athletic at the Drome and Largieside were up against Campbeltown Rangers on Kinloch Park..........if we won we had the title.................4-0 down we were in 20 mins :cry: :cry: :cry: eventually lost 4-1 C/town Rangers' win over Largie counted for nothing..Tarbert were champs...........
12 teams there were that year, and this was even before Carradale....great days indeed.
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Tue May 31, 2005 12:21 pm

Ah that's pretty quick but good news none the less.
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Summer League

Postby Sport » Tue May 31, 2005 1:30 pm

4th gen - can you PM me Sandy's phone number. There are a number of people who are still not assigned to teams so there are plenty of people out there - the things is to get Southend people playing too!

We share your concerns about the league scunnering people etc and there will have to be good and poor teams in it - just like any other league.

Lets just get it up and working first and take it from there - it has to be good for the area and we have to remain positive about it.
Please visit the Sports Council's new website and check out our latest news! http://www.southkintyresportscouncil.com
Sport
Active Poster
Active Poster

Meeting

Postby Sport » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:00 am

Just to remind everyone about the Meeting

Thursday 2nd June 2005 in the Argyll Hotel, 8.30pm

This will be the last chance you will have to enter your team. Please note there is a £25 entry fee for each team.

So far there are 6 teams.

Milanos
Meadows
Campbeltown Boys U19s
Beef Utd
The Vets

and the return of the mighty Southend has been confirmed!!! :-)

Another team would be ideal - c'mon there is plenty of you out there!
Sport
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:03 am

Cmon the Southend! I mind as a young lad going down to watch them on a Sunday. Even went to the Drome and Carradale once. But c'mon some of theose strips use had were "whileikin." Remember the black strip? With a wee bit of gold on the sleeves and "Argyll Arms Hotel" on it. That was a deadly strip.

So is the team a secret or is it a return to the big time for a lot of the Auld Flas? See if you can give the Young Boys a rune for their money :).
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby John A » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:09 pm

Best Southend Strip by far was the Green and yellow stripes (West.Brom)of the early 80's which were borrowed by the mighty SK Rovers and used in the legendary under 17's 3-2 Sutherland cup win in 1984 against Glenside the only team ever to take a boys league cup out of the town.

Goalie: Grant Barr
Defence: Andrew Armour, Wallace McGowan, Stewart McPhail and Calum McMillan.
Midfield: Alan Millar. Alisdair Mcmillan and Mathew Lowther.
Forwards:Andy Thopson, Martin McKeller and James Mcphee.
Subs: Robert McGowan, Stephen Cahill and John McMurchy.

What a Team!!
How about getting together for this new league lads?!!!!!!

[/quote]
John A
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby DOUBLE A » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:34 pm

jeeeeees blue stoore!! thats some memory you've got, who stuck the ball in the onion bag for the glorious victory ?

think most of that team would be lucky to last 9 mins never mind 90 before reality kicked in !!!!! :oops:

mabye john mcm could do an abramovich !!! :lol:
DOUBLE A
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby John A » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:31 pm

Memory not so good double A
the score was 4-2 not 3-2 as I said I found the old courier with a report on the game.

scorers Glenside 1-0 John Lammont
S K 1-1 Martin Mckellar
SK 2-1 Martin McKellar
SK 3-1 Stewart McPhail
SK 4-1 Martin McKellar
Glenside 4-2 Campbell Cunningham (pen)

the previous week the game had been a draw 3-3 (dont have scorers for it) Wallace Mcgowan replaced Robert Mcgowan and Andrew Armour replaced Stephen Cahill for the 4-2 game.
John A
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:22 pm

Think I maybe heard about that game on the odd occasion since then!! :wink:

But, no two ways about it...... a great achievement.......the Toon boys hate the country boys winning :lol: 8)

Not many of them went on to adult football success...what about the hat trick hero? I mind him being pretty good then but have no recollection of any adult action :shock: !!

And McPhail...fantastic young player he was...even in the adult leagues, but when still a boy........

Aye great days JohnA ............and DoubleA
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:53 pm

I'm making a return for Southend! :lol:

I did play with Southend for a couple of years back in 94-96 if I remember correctly.

Trying to get another couple of boys to play too as Sandy has a few boys from Southend but will need the usual influx of toonies.

Anyone got a contact number for Alky they could PM me? He used to play too and we are hoping he makes a return too! :lol:

Point is it would be good to get Southend back in and hats off to Sandy for making this happen!
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:27 pm

Good for you DavieP!!

Think your previous stint with Southend would be more like '97 to '99..mind the Ballycastle trip was in '97!! then they came back here in '99........they would have had a good game against Southend but mucked up the whole trip by insisting on playing The Pupils earlier in the day :x :?
Meant to be taking 2 teams with them but only arrived with 14 players...2 of them LASSIES! mind you, one of them was a Nor Iron internationalist!!

Dont know Alky's number, but he used to be in the book.
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:24 pm

mmm - I'll have to ask John Galbraith. I think it may hae been 95-97.

I moved away to Glasgow in 97 but if I recall correctly I came back for the away trip to Ballycastle the Sunday morning of the Music Festival....

The good old days! :lol:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Sports news in Kintyre