Hi from Oz & wondering whether these addresses still exi

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

Hi from Oz & wondering whether these addresses still exi

Postby A Whiteford » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:08 am

Hi - I've just joined after an invitation to look at site. I've been active on the Argyll and the Ayrshire genealogy boards seeking information about my family who emigrated in the 1850s from Cambeltown to Australia.

I am planning on travelling to Scotland either later this year or in our Spring next year and was keen to actually have a look at where my families came from. In Scotland this means visiting Campbeltown, Stewarton and Dunlop and Ardnamurchan. In Ardamurchan I am looking for Smiths forced out due to highland clearances, who left before the 1841 Census. In addition, they were probably crofters so any chance of finding where they lived is limited. However, I do have addresses for the Campbeltown family and was hoping for advice as to the status of these addresses today.

In regards to Campbeltown I have family on the 1841 Census as follows:
Street and District
Big Kiln, Campbeltown 507 10 11
Name Age Occupation Birthplace
Margaret Whiteford 50 Ireland
Cathrine Whiteford 20 Ireland
James Whiteford 15 Labourer Ireland

I then have James and his family on the 1851 Census:
507 10 12 - Church Street, Campbeltown
James Whiteford 26 Mason Journeyman Ireland
Jane Whiteford 28 Stewarton, Ayrshire
Mary Whiteford 1 Campbeltown
George Whiteford 1 Campbeltown

James is my ggg grandfather. He migrated to Australia in 1852 with his wife Jane/Jean (Wylie) who was bn 1822, Stewarton Ayrshire.

A kind lister has pointed to a death record on Scotslands people for Catherine, his sister. She married Donald Galbraith and died in 1890. Details as follows:
Catherine Galbraith
Married to Donald Galbraith
Pauper formerly labourer
Died : April Seventeenth 9am
Address: Longrow Street, Campbeltown
Female Age 70 Years
Father: Alexander Whiteford, Labourer. Deceased
Mother:Margaret Whiteford ms Cain or Bain (hard to read) Deceased
Cause of death: Bronchitis 4 Months as certified by James Taylor
Name of informant: Donald Galbraith Husband

I am interested in advice as to whether the addresses/locations in Campbeltown mentioned on these records still exist - Big Kiln, Longrow and Church Streets. An added bonus would be if anyone knows of these families or their descendants.

Thanks for any information

Anne Whiteford
A Whiteford
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Ross » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:28 am

Congratulations on being the 100th person to register on this forum. hope you have some luck in tracing the folk fae the toon, recgnise most of the street names you mention so you never know.
Ross
Active Poster
Active Poster

Thanks - good to know your numbers are rising

Postby A Whiteford » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:06 am

I don't expect to find relatives there. The Whitefords who stayed in Campbeltown were James's mother and his sister. While his sister married, I haven't been able to find any children from that marriage. I can find his sister's marriage banns and then her death in 1890 both in Campbeltown but a search of ScotslandsPeople doesn't turn up any children. She also died as a pauper which suggest to me that there wasn't family in Scotland to take care of her.

So while I would be really pleased to have some far distant cousins still in Scotland on that side of the family I don't expect to find any. However, it will still be really good to look at the place they all lived, especially if you say the streets still exist.

Thanks

Anne
A Whiteford
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

WHITEFORD from Campbeltown

Postby JOEMAC » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:52 am

Hello Ann,
I have only just joined and noticed your query on the WHITEFORD family from Campbeltown.
I have MARTHA WHITEFORD b. 1863 Campbeltown,parents, JOHN WHITEFORD & AGNES McMILLAN.
She married DANIEL McKINVEN 22 Oct. 1883 at Campbeltown.
Also i have JANE WHITEFORD b. 13 Sept. 1870 Campbeltown,parents JOHN WHITEFORD & MARY CAMPBELL,
She married JAMES SHARP McKINVEN 12 Sept. 1890
And finally i have MARGARET WILSON WHITEFORD b about 1936 in Scotland,parents, ANDREW WILSON SHAW WHITEFORD & ELIZABETH FLANNIGAN,
She married ALEXANDER JAMIESON 27 March 1952 at Greenock, Scotland.
If any of these people feature in your research i would love to hear from you.
Kindest regards.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby A Whiteford » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:15 am

Hi JoeMac - don't have a connection as far as I know. My family appears to have been Margaret & Alexander and their children James & Catherine. James married Jean Wyl(l)ie in 1849 and migrated with their children to Australia in 1852. I'm descended from them. Catherine married Donald Galbraith/Galbreath in 1847. As far as I've been able to tell they had no children. Catherine & Donald died in Campbeltown in 1890.

Have you tried the following sites:
http://whiteford.itgo.com
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/WHITEFORD/2004-04

If I find a connection I'll let you know.

Cheers

Anne

PS have you searched free cen to see whether they're listed?
A Whiteford
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!