Hello & Hughes Family .

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

Hello & Hughes Family .

Postby John100 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:52 pm

Hello everyone,
I am very new to this site and i have just joined after a short trip to Campbeltown last week . My Great Grandfather James Hughes was drowned when his fishing boat was lost near the Kilbrannan Sound / Ardnacross Bay returning from Arran .
Unfortunately the other four men on the boat also drowned .
This was December 22nd 1909 so quite a while back .
I came down to have a look at addresses my family lived in while they lived in Campbeltown as my Great Granny lived on until 1942 . I also came down to visit the Grandson of Duncan McSporran as his Grandfather was also on the boat and i would now like to try find out more about the The Victor and her crew .
I don''t know if anyone might have a picture of The Victor or possibly the the crew themselves ?
I don''t know the difference between a fishing boat or as i've seen mentioned a Skiff or Smack maybe someone could tell me the difference ?
The Crew were James Hughes ( 41) married with 8 children
Duncan Campbell (55) married with no family .
Duncan McSporran (26) married with 3 children .
John McIntyre (27) married with one child .
Robert McMillan (16) unmarried .
I have some basic information already and a copy of the poem about The Victor .
I was able to look a book by a local historian Angus Martin which had some information that i had not seen before does anyone know if he is on this Forum ?
Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated .
Thank you .
John100
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Hello & Hughes Family .

Postby petewick » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:47 pm

A friend of mine, Paul Hughes lived in Campbeltown years ago, he told me about this, he has to be related to you...
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby John100 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:34 am

petewick wrote:A friend of mine, Paul Hughes lived in Campbeltown years ago, he told me about this, he has to be related to you...

Hello petewick,
Yes Paul is my second cousin and lives near me in London . His father was Alexander and he lived near Campbeltown for 15 years . I havent spoken to him so much about family history as i didn't think he was that interested . He is a busy boy .
John100
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby petewick » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:39 pm

I have'nt seen him for over 30 years, linked on FB, he told me of the drowning and where
the family lived in Main St, Campbeltown.
By sheer coincidence my grand father was drowned at the fishing roughly at the same time....
KGB
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby John100 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:25 pm

petewick wrote:I have'nt seen him for over 30 years, linked on FB, he told me of the drowning and where
the family lived in Main St, Campbeltown.
By sheer coincidence my grand father was drowned at the fishing roughly at the same time....

Hi Pete,
A very unfortunate coincidence i would be interested to hear his story when i come back down next year .
The story of my Great Grandfather and the other four crew has grow quite a bit now that i have decided to research all the crew . I've now got a proper list of places to visit when i come down also . No doubt it will get bigger before i visit again next year . Do you live in the Campbeltown area ?
John100
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby petewick » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:14 pm

I live in Oban John but get back regularly.
Was'nt there a poem written about the tragedy?
Peter
KGB
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!