McCallum/Blackstock families

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

McCallum/Blackstock families

Postby chris t » Tue May 31, 2005 10:53 am

Hi everyone, I'm sending this message from Byron Bay - Australia. Found the site by doing a general search on Kintyre.

Margaret McCallum (baptised in Campbelltown 3 April 1806) and Peter Blackstock (baptised in Saddell and Skipness 19 Feb 1802) are my ggg grandparents. My gg grandmother, Henrietta Blackstock b.4 Dec 1831 (Killean and Kilchenzie) emigrated to Otago NZ and arrived in Dunedin in 1863. There she met and married my gg grandfather Allan Boyd. They had 3 children Hugh, Margaret and Peter. Margaret married Henry McGowan and they had 7 children (2 girls Elizabeth Henrietta and Margaret Boyd )

My grandmother, Elizabeth Henrietta, left NZ with her sister (my great aunt) Margaret and settled in Melbourne. Both sisters have since died, but there is a large family in Melbourne and in Shepparton (Victoria).

There has been quite a lot of work done on the Boyd side of the family, that has also unearthed some info. about Henrietta Blackstock and there has also been quite a bit of work done on the Blackstock name itself.

Well that was a very lengthy introduction, but I am much more interested in finding out if there are any descendants of the McCallum or Blackstock families still living in the area.

Peter Blackstock and Margaret (Peggy) McCallum had nine other children apart from Henrietta - so there must be others around somewhere.

It would be great to make a connection and hopefully come and meet you next year. Anyway, enough of a rave for one posting - I'll look forward to any replies. Cheers, Chris
Always was, always will be Aboriginal land
chris t
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby John S » Tue May 31, 2005 2:33 pm

My mother who is 70, is a McCallum from West Kintyre her father was John and he had at least 2 brothers one of whom was Gilbert. Will speak to her and find out what I can.

Blackstocks are around tho others are better placed to fill you in on them.

Cheers

John
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

McCallum/Blackstock

Postby chris t » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:42 am

John, Thanks for your quick response - the info. that I have is that Margaret McCallum (baptised in 1806) was the daughter of a John McCallum and Euphemia McMillan married in Campbelltown June 1805. Margaret died in 1881 in Ballochantee, Kilchenzie.

Hope this helps. I know it is drawing a long straw - and it is more difficult tracking the matrilineal line. But I'd be grateful for any help/info. Cheers, Chris
chris t
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:00 pm

There is certainly plenty of Blackstocks in the area - all from the one family I think too.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

McCallum/Blackstock

Postby chris t » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:53 pm

Thanks Davie - maybe if you know of somebody who has a connection to them, they could pass on the word that I'd be interested in making contact. Cheers, Chris
chris t
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Hello!

Postby Annie » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:05 am

I am a Blackstock and was born in Bellochantuy in the Cottages. My father was Samuel "Sammy" Blackstock, a lobster fisherman, and my mother was Rose Dewar, the postmistress. They eloped and were married on my mother's 18th birthday, April 16th. :D

I have one brother, Jim Blackstock, who still lives in Campbeltown. As far as I can recall, my father had a brother, Peter, and I had a cousin who was also called Peter and they lived in and/or around Kilkenzie!

If this is helpful, just let me know, and I will see if I can dig up some more old stuff!

Annie Blackstock Dewar.
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Debi.D » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:47 pm

I know Kenny, Robert and Patricia Blackstock should all still live in the kintyre area. I think they grew up in Muesdale. Good Luck with your search Chris
Debi.D
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:14 pm

Yes plenty of Blackstocks still in the area and as far as I know all from the same family..

I remember them well from my days at the caravan at Muasdale
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby JOEMAC » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:33 am

Hello Chris,
only just joined,saw your posting regarding BLACKSTOCK family in Campbeltown and surrounding areas.
I have a HANNAH BLACKSTOCK born 4 July 1850 at Saddell,her parents were THOMAS BLACKSTOCK and MARGARET[or PEGGY] BLUE.
She married ALEXANDER BLUE on 4 July 1879 at Campbeltown.
Would be interested to see if they are related to your Blackstock`s.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Hello!

Postby Annie » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:04 am

JOEMAC

I am a BLACKSTOCK and was born in Bellochantuy and raised in Campbeltown. I would be interested in any information you could give regarding our family tree. (Funny, I was born July 6, 1961.)
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby chris t » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:31 pm

Thanks for all the responses....sorry I haven't visited the site for a few months...haven't been too well...anyway... I have a book 'The Blackstocks of Argyll' that traces the family back to Thomas Blackstock (1759 -1848) and Henerita Ferguson (bap. 18 April 1747 - d.1 Dec 1837). They had 12 children.

JoeMac - your family are included in this book and are related. You are a descendant of Duncan Blackstock (b. 1790 - 1869 Saddell and Skipness) and I am a descendant of his younger brother Peter (bap. 1802 -1881 Saddell and Skipness).

It was Duncan's son Thomas bap.1813 who married Margaret (Peggy) Blue b.1822 and had eight children including Hannah (Henn(e)y) b. July 1850 Saddell and Skipness. If you'd like more info. I'd be happy to provide it. Alternatively you could also get a copy of the book from Doug Blackstock (he is not related to our family - he just wanted to research the name!!!) at doug.blstock@xtra.co.nz

Annie, it sounds like you must be part of the family as well. Can you find out your great grandparents names - that will help me to locate you on the family tree. As I understand it all us Blackstocks from Kintyre are descendants of Thomas and Henerita Ferguson.

I'm planning to visit in 2006 - I'll bring the book with me!!!

Cheers
chris t
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

More Blackstocks!

Postby Annie » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:54 am

Chris:

Thanks for the info. I will have to dig through some old stuff and see what I can gather. My father's name is Samuel, but my grandparents died when my brother and I were small, so I don't know much about them. I think I will get a copy of the book though, just for keeping. It might give me a good laugh. We Blackstocks are a funny lot you know!

Thanks again!

Annie
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby chris t » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:02 pm

Good on you Annie - drag out all that old stuff and have a look at it. I'm glad you're thinking to get a copy of the book. It is really quite fascinating for Blackstocks...probably dead boring for anyone else.

Descendants of the Kintyre Blackstocks seem to have ended up all over the world. I often think about my gg grandmother Henrietta travelling all the way to NZ in the late 1800s and wonder whether I would be brave enough to do that... we move around the world pretty easily these days, but at the time it must have been a huge step to take.

Anyway Annie - get the book and have a read. I'm sure you'll find it interesting. Hope you do have a really good laugh. We did when we looked through it.

I'm definitely off to Kintyre this year - looking forward to making the visit and checking out the local Blackstocks. Not going through Honolulu though so I'll miss out on catching up with you, but stay in touch anyway.

If you have any trouble getting a copy of the book let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

Take care, Chris
chris t
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Blackstock family

Postby JOEMAC » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:15 am

Hello Chris T,
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you but i have had several problems with my computer and passwords.
I was very interested in your posting advising me that my Blackstock ancestors are mentioned in the book
"The Blackstocks of Argyll" by Doug Blackstock.
I would be very interested in taking you up on your very kind offer to provide more information on my Blackstocks
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kindest regards,
joemac,
South Australia.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Blackstock relations

Postby chris t » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:50 am

Annie - I've just been browsing through the 'The Blackstocks of Argyll' and found you - can't believe that I didn't notice your name before.
Your g/parents were Peter Blackstock and Janet Kelly McArthur. Peter was a lobster fisherman as well. your g grandparents were Peter Blackstock and Catherine McIntyre and your g g grandparents were Peter Blackstock and Margaret McCallum.

Your g g grandfather and my g g grandmother were brother and sister. Funny hey?

As some of the others have mentioned on this forum - there is really only one Blackstock family in Kintyre, so it was just a matter of time before we discovered the connection.

I am happy to send you the bits from the book that relate to your part of the family. It may help you to trace other family members as well.

What a nice surprise? Cheers, Chris
chris t
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Next

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!