Hello from Carradale!

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

Postby GarySutherland » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:06 am

The stats are also supposed to tell you the countries the connections are coming from but that bit doesn't work very well.

Oh, and if anyone's worried about being 'logged' then fear not. The thing hasn't any idea who you are.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby dgraves » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:41 pm

[quote Gary)
Oh, and if anyone's worried about being 'logged' then fear not. The thing hasn't any idea who you are.

Cheers
Gary

Does this apply to just your site or to the Kintyre site, also? Just curious- doesn't really matter.

Thanks-
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby GarySutherland » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:55 pm

It's really difficult for any website to capture anything like personal information from your browser, and webstats don't usually try all that hard anyway. The best it can usually do it capture your IP address which can tell it who your internet service provider is and (sometimes) the geographical origin of the connection. Beyond that it's usually futile.

Most ordinary ISPs allocate IP addresses dynamically, meaning that every time you dial-up you get a different address number. In theory the ISPs themselves could log this against your account number and thus trace everywhere you've been and what you've been looking at but realistically this would soak up a huge amount of disc space.

Most of them are happier just not knowing, I think.

From the point of view of the website it just doesn't have this degree of 'granulation'. I think I've got the weblogs running on a couple of our sites but not all of them. I've no idea what stat's Davie can get from his websites.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby dgraves » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:13 pm

Hi Gary,

The statistics you printed in the Carradale Goat were very interesting (to me). Just made me want to learn more. I generally log in anyway, so it wouldn't matter if the browsers were tracked or not. I was just curious as to the possibility of the site tracking people that were browsing and not logged on.

Don't know if that made any sense, as I'm basically computer illiterate. Reading some of your, Davie and Malky's chit chat has made many things click that my brother goes on about (and on, and on!). I had a mental block in that department and it feels good to begin to understand. I never tried before :D .
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby GarySutherland » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:11 pm

No probs. One of the most interesting features of the logs (to me) is supposed to show you the countries people are connecting from but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work very well.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Previous

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!