New pictures and the Jordans

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

New pictures and the Jordans

Postby Greta » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:31 pm

Hello!
Just wanted to let you know, the new pictures are absolutely gorgeous! Was able to "show" them to my son in the States, so he can see where i'll be in a couple of weeks------and where his great-great grandparents came from....

Also, i checked out the link to the kintyremag for the first time and found a neat article about the Jordan family. Remains to be seen if Kate, Bessie and Polly were descendents, still, very interesting.

By the way, Bessie and Polly Jordan (still alive in 1956) lived in Low Askomil. Does anybody know where, exactly, and if their house is still standing? Would so much like to see it on my visit.

Am so glad this site and your forum exist. Keep up the good work!

Regards, Greta
i plan to visit campbeltown this summer. would like to know if i have any living relatives in the area. my great-grandmother, a Miss Jordan, married a Mr. Jackson at the Lochend Free Church in 1899. They immigrated to South Dakota.........
Greta
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby vk » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:04 pm

Greta,

Remember to let us know when you will be here! :lol:

Anyway, regarding the house - do you have any information on where on Low Askomil?

If I recall correctly you have a photo? This may be someone else who has contacted the board but if you go to

http://www.visitkintyre.info/pana.htm

And follow the photo round past the beach you will see a block of flats (Tangy Place) then a house with a red roof. If you follow the picture along the lower of the two roads now (Low Askomil) you will see the Sailing Club, a row of three houses, a garage, a large white house, then a group of houses. The grey ones.

That is where I think you are looking for..
vk
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Low Askomil

Postby Greta » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:32 pm

Wow! thanks a lot for your reply. i don't have an exact address, but this narrows down the possibilities, anyway.
I don't have any pictures, either. Just the one letter mailed to my grandmother from Bessie Jordan and the tea service from Kate Jordan, given to her by the Lochend Church Choir.
Nancie (I'm sure you know her) knows a lot about the Jacksons (paternal side) but the Jordans are still a bit of a mystery.
Can't wait to see Campbeltown live!
We'll be arriving on July 28.
i plan to visit campbeltown this summer. would like to know if i have any living relatives in the area. my great-grandmother, a Miss Jordan, married a Mr. Jackson at the Lochend Free Church in 1899. They immigrated to South Dakota.........
Greta
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Askomil Walk

Postby westlaser » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:39 pm

The house that the Jordan's lived in was the 'middle of 3 houses' and is either called Tiree or Pierview in Askomil Walk. Do you know which of the houses this is on the photo.
Last edited by westlaser on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westlaser
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

the jordan house

Postby Greta » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:07 pm

Sorry, Neil, i don't have a clue. Perhaps i can ask the woman at the bookshop with whom you spoke in 2003?
thanks for your help, Greta
Greta
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

tiree

Postby Jeanette » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:51 pm

As you look at the sailing club, in front of the house with red tiled roof it's a small two storey wooden effort. Next to that is a stone building with three houses The next one on is a white two storey with at least three flats. It is called Tiree. The long grey building on from that is Pierview There at least 4 flats in there. Hope that helps

jeanette
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

jordan house

Postby Greta » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:28 pm

Thanks very much, Jeanette! You're not the book lady, are you?
Anyway, it wasn't Neil, it was Doug Cooper who visited Ctown. I have gotten so much info in the last three days about my family that my head is spinning!
Greta
Greta
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Jordans

Postby Nancie » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:33 pm

Hi Greta

Bessie and Polly lived in Pierview which is still standing. I have found someone who is looking up the congregational minutes for Lochend Church to find out if Kate was the choir conductor. Looking forward to seeing you on the 28th.

Nancie
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Jordans

Postby Greta » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:10 am

Dear Nancie,

that's great! thank you so much. i can't wait until next week.

Greta
Greta
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

greta

Postby Nancie » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:19 pm

Hi Greta

Please let me know when you are likely to arrive in Campbeltown on the 28th as I am inviting everyone on the forum who has helped you or wants to meet you to come to my house on Thursday evening.

Davie P and his family will be there and Jeanette can't wait to meet you.

Nancie
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

jordans

Postby Greta » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:26 pm

dear nancie, that was a case of thought-transfer (bad translation, can only think of it in german, gedankenübertragung!)....i was thinking a couple of days ago that it would be neat to meet the folks in the forum, was going to ask you the name of a nice pub or something and give a time and date------and then tossed the idea, partly because i'm kind of shy.
However, it would be great, thank you again.
Will send you an email as soon as i know when we'll arrive. so far i have only scoped out the route with two ferries, would take all day and we wouldn't arrive until 6 p.m. Want to check out the overland route and then will get back to you.
Greta
Greta
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Nancie » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:08 pm

Greta

Email me if you need help with the route.

Nancie
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!