Volcanic ash

New forum under General to discuss travel, best places to visit, best hotels, things to do, things not to do etc!

Volcanic ash

Postby Govangirl » Sat May 15, 2010 11:06 pm

I thought I was going to be safe from all this palaver but I heard on the news tonight that all flights from major UK airports may be cancelled as airspace could be closed from tomorrow until Tuesday due to the wind blowing the ash. Mr Govangirl is supposed to be flying this Friday to the States and I'm joining him the following week but now I'm seriously worried (in fact, more worried than I am about the scary dollar rate!). Anyway, I'm thinking:

1. Is there any good news?
2. No-one can flee now!
3. How long is this going to last?
4. What are the implications for climate change?
and again
5. How long is this going to last?
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Volcanic ash

Postby Bobh » Sat May 15, 2010 11:41 pm

Concerned also GG. Going to the Algarve soon and the final amount is due (balance). Do i cancel and lose flights-fully paid. Deposit on apartment, and car booked with deposit paid. Or just take the chance and if things don't work out it's Sunny Soothend :)
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sun May 16, 2010 10:27 am

I do not think that the airline engineers are reacting to this as rapidly as they should.Surely there must be a way of filtering air intakes so that the planes can fly through the ash? :?
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby abbey craig » Sun May 16, 2010 6:25 pm

Its not just the planes engine that have problems with volcanic ash, sensors,radio communication,and also whole skin of plane shotblasted.So if you fancy a 45 min glide from 30000 feet into the atlantic,hey you go for it. :roll:
abbey craig
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Travel