Preferred Route to Campbeltown

New forum under General to discuss travel, best places to visit, best hotels, things to do, things not to do etc!

Preferred Route to Campbeltown

Postby odds » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:17 pm

Just wondering about different routes when I return again next month and wanted others opinions. Travelling from Manchester, I normally just drive all the way, this however including breaks takes approx 9 hours bearing in mind we have 2 grandsons and small dog with us.
However this year I was looking at getting the ferry from Ardrossan to Brodick then shooting accross to Lochranza and then the ferry to Claonaig, then continue down to Campbeltown. Time wise I realise they would work out roughly the same, but at least the ferry gives you the chance of a nice break from driving, cost wise, the ferry obviously works out more expensive, but I'm not too bothered about that.
So has anyone used the ferry routes and am I likely to have any problems taking this option, especially once on Arran and getting through traffic in time for the other ferry. Any other advice regards this welcome.

Pete.
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Preferred Route to Campbeltown

Postby MPR » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:05 pm

I use them all the time, as you say more money but a nice rest, esp with kids, ardrossan brodick etc, or hunters quay way and over to portavadie,Tarbert etc and you get a different view of the country.
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby odds » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks MPR, bearing in mind it would be early morning, how busy does the Lochranza crossing get ? My biggest worry is that it may get cancelled and knowing my luck getting stuck on Arran :)
Another problem I have come accross is I can't find an option to book the Lochranza - Claonaig crossing, it's not just a turn up and pay is it ?, the only route showing is the Ardrossan - Brodick :(

Pete
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby jdcarra » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:02 pm

odds wrote:Thanks MPR, bearing in mind it would be early morning, how busy does the Lochranza crossing get ? My biggest worry is that it may get cancelled and knowing my luck getting stuck on Arran :)
Another problem I have come accross is I can't find an option to book the Lochranza - Claonaig crossing, it's not just a turn up and pay is it ?, the only route showing is the Ardrossan - Brodick :(

Pete

I would not worry about the Lochranza to Claonaig crossing for booking,it seems to cope with daily traffic and very seldom cancelled at this time of year unless the weather got extremely bad.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby chrisduffy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:44 pm

odds wrote:Thanks MPR, bearing in mind it would be early morning, how busy does the Lochranza crossing get ? My biggest worry is that it may get cancelled and knowing my luck getting stuck on Arran :)

Pete

You can book your tickets as a hopscotch (hopscotch 5), cheaper than buying separate,
http://www.calmac.co.uk/tickets/island- ... intyre.htm
chrisduffy
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby MPR » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:49 pm

chrisduffy wrote:

Pete

You can book your tickets as a hopscotch (hopscotch 5), cheaper than buying separate,
http://www.calmac.co.uk/tickets/island- ... intyre.htm

never had a prob with the lochranza crossing as they said, show up and pay and getting stuck onArran is not too bad if it happens
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby odds » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:01 pm

MPR wrote:never had a prob with the lochranza crossing as they said, show up and pay and getting stuck onArran is not too bad if it happens

You don't know my missus, if I decide to take this route and it doesn't go to plan I'll spend the next 2 weeks hearing about it :)
I had visions of people getting of at Brodick and then it becoming a road race to get to Lochranza to be first on the other ferry :)
Thanks once again MPR and Chris, found the Hopscotch option now.

Pete.
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:43 am

I considered the ferry option but was concerned about being stationary with two dogs in a car and the waiting times between the ferries.Personally speaking I look forward to the drive from down here in Staffordshire.I feel that it is a part of the holiday.Once over the Erskine Bridge I really feel that I am getting close.The road from Tarbert to Campbeltown down the west coast has to be one of the best driving roads in the U.K.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby odds » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:26 am

I agree Roger, the drive is really nice and I do enjoy the sights on the way, but I was just looking at doing something different this year. It would also be more of an "adventure" for the grandsons going on the ferry rather than just been stuck in the back of the car all that time. Don't forget I would still have the drive back home because the ferry option is just for getting there, so we wouldn't miss out on all that great scenery :)

Pete.
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:41 am

Have a good time!I have had to cancel my holiday on Davaar Island in September as I am currently un-employed. :( Ah well,maybe next year.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:58 pm

Maybe you`ll be a resident by next year Roger?
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:11 pm

numberplease wrote:Maybe you`ll be a resident by next year Roger?

I would certainly like to be that is for sure.Problem is that my wife is still working and needs to work for the company for another 4 years to get the full company pension.Ah well!patience is a virtue.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Abigail » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:32 am

I don't think you need to book anything for Lochranza to Claonaig, that will cope with daily traffic. And I would also suggest you book through hopscotch rather than buying doing it separately, that would be more costly. 
countdown to new year to get the best memories!
Abigail
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Travel