Thailand War Cemetery

New forum under General to discuss travel, best places to visit, best hotels, things to do, things not to do etc!

Thailand War Cemetery

Postby Govangirl » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:14 am

In a fortnight I'm off on my holidays to Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. This came about after my mum died last year and I decided to do my family tree. As reported elsewhere on this forum, I got lots of help from Gizmo about my great uncles, one who was killed in Gallipoli in WW1 and his brother who was killed as a POW when building that bridge. After discovering all that I knew and recalled about my childhood knowledge and knowing the pain of my gran and great grandmother, I resolved to be the first in my family to visit my uncle's grave in Thailand.
Although we will be staying in Bangkok, we will be visiting the cemetery for a day, about 2 hours away, in Kanchanaburi. Has anyone been there? Did you find it easy to find the grave and did you organise it before you went?

Any information would be very gratefully received, thanks.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Thailand War Cemetery

Postby Isa » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:57 am

GG, I found your post very intersesting and sad at the same time. Quite an emotive journey for you. I hope that you find what you are looking for.
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:10 am

How lovely of you Isa, thank you. I believe I have nothing else to look for as I now have all the details but I think it is just time for a descendant to make the journey even though it will be very emotional. Growing up, my mother always said she hated the Japanese which I always thought was awful. She claimed she would never buy anything Japanese and when we pointed out her car, her camera, her TV, etc. she would argue, bless her, "Och away, Sony is British" - she just had no idea of the impact that they had on our culture. We kids would make fun of Uncle Harry every time she made us clear our plates and now, as I discover how he was tortured as a PoW, I am filled with shame. So much, so very much, of my childhood around my gran and great-gran now makes sense. I also cannot believe the impact my uncles have made on my life when I didn't know them. Gizmo on this forum guided me to find this picture through the War Commission:

Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Abigail » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:39 am

Thailand War Cemetery was really a new place for me before i read your post, I am so sure that this will be really having such a good and most appealing time period for me to have such a good time as it.
countdown to new year to get the best memories!
Abigail
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Travel