Return to basics?

New forum under General to discuss travel, best places to visit, best hotels, things to do, things not to do etc!

Return to basics?

Postby Ship called Dignity » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:52 pm

Having been in Europe earlier this year I found the fall in Euro quite crippling on the old wallet.

Do you think, if we get a half decent summer, there will be a return to basics and the old times with more people holidaying at home in Scotland and the UK? Apparently sales in camping and caravan accessories are double normal.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Return to basics?

Postby bill » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:36 pm

IMHO no.

Tenerife last November,then again in March,and again in two weeks time.USA in Oct./Nov.Some great bargains to be had on late deals outside of school holiday times.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:43 pm

bill wrote:IMHO no.

Tenerife last November,then again in March,and again in two weeks time.USA in Oct./Nov.Some great bargains to be had on late deals outside of school holiday times.

Aye, but Bill, you are minted. 8) :D
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:52 pm

Machrihanish has had a very busy May with not just the usual American and Swedish visitors but some Dutch, French and Italians too. Mum and dad are just back from a week on Islay where, just before their Whisky week, it was full of Europeans very chuffed with their Euro exchange rate and loving Scotland!!
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:52 am

Bill, where you going in the states?? With the price of the dollar right now, you should be living like a king while you are here.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:57 am

Ship called Dignity wrote:

No doubt you have heard the old saying Davie"there's nae pockets in a shroud",well the older you get the more you come to realise the truth of it,and you are not going to take it with you,so might as well enjoy it while you're able.

Bobbie En Tejas wrote:Bill, where you going in the states?? With the price of the dollar right now, you should be living like a king while you are here.

Florida again Bobbie,been 6 times previously and find Oct./Nov. an ideal time to be there.The weather is perfect,no queues at the parks,and the roads are relatively quiet.
Looking forward to the new Simpson's ride at Universal. 8)
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby daftdog » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:41 pm

Ship called Dignity wrote:Having been in Europe earlier this year I found the fall in Euro quite crippling on the old wallet.

Naw when you are going the opposite way Davie Image
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Kevin Mc » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:27 pm

Ags wrote:Machrihanish has had a very busy May with not just the usual American and Swedish visitors but some Dutch, French and Italians too. Mum and dad are just back from a week on Islay where, just before their Whisky week, it was full of Europeans very chuffed with their Euro exchange rate and loving Scotland!!

Sorry to be nosey, but do you work at Machrihanish? Just wondering how you know whose been :)

Last year we went to Florida in February, and the Wig Wams at Machrihanish in the Summer! This year it's Campbeltown and Scarborough. Would love to get back to the States, though think it will be a few years yet :(
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Kevin Mc wrote:
Ags wrote:Machrihanish has had a very busy May with not just the usual American and Swedish visitors but some Dutch, French and Italians too. Mum and dad are just back from a week on Islay where, just before their Whisky week, it was full of Europeans very chuffed with their Euro exchange rate and loving Scotland!!

Sorry to be nosey, but do you work at Machrihanish? Just wondering how you know whose been :)

Good god man, don't you know Ags was Miss Machrihanish 1992-2008 and only lost it this year due a bout of the wine flu! 8)

Last year we went to Florida in February, and the Wig Wams at Machrihanish in the Summer! This year it's Campbeltown and Scarborough. Would love to get back to the States, though think it will be a few years yet

If you get a spell like we had over the last week then there is no better place than Kintyre. I guess that is where my original post is coming from. I spent the weekend up at the caravan and couldn't but help notice how busy all the caravan parks/camp sites were and the town seemed buy too. So was wondering do you think people are looking to go back to days gone by and holiday closer to home?

Perhaps Bonnie Lass can confirm if they are busier than not?

I've two weeks off in July and hope to spend it round Kintyre. On that note does anyone have any good links for websites to purchase camping accessories at good prices?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby campbeltownx » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:42 pm

Try www.gooutdoors.co.uk
Good prices and i think you can purchase a discount card for £4 which gives you a further special discount. Crackin store in coatbridge.
campbeltownx
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Govangirl » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:12 pm

bill wrote:No doubt you have heard the old saying Davie"there's nae pockets in a shroud",well the older you get the more you come to realise the truth of it,and you are not going to take it with you,so might as well enjoy it while you're able.

:lol: Never a truer or wiser word spoken - my philosophy in fact! (Much to Mr Govangirl's disgust! :roll: )

Ship called Dignity wrote:Good god man, don't you know Ags was Miss Machrihanish 1992-2008 and only lost it this year due a bout of the wine flu! 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Fantastic! I thought everyone was aware of it!

I'll be going this summer to both the States AND Kintyre so will be getting the best of both worlds. :D
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:23 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: With friends like you lot thank God my enemies are few and far between!! I am back in the running for Miss Sunburned Machrihanish 2009 after Sunday (nothing to do with wine flu - honest)
Kevin, I don't work in Machrihanish but I know a man who does, or at least I used to! He has been so busy we have barely had a conversation in the last few weeks!!
How do you find the wigwams??
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby tootsy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:30 pm

[quote="AgsHow do you find the wigwams??[/quote]

Just go through the gate and they are straight in front of you.
tootsy
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby TYM » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:57 pm

So was wondering do you think people are looking to go back to days gone by and holiday closer to home?

I certainly hope not.

I do think that this year there are more people opting to stay closer to home. Partly that was to do with the stories that came out early in the year about the weakness of the pound against the euro. A good long term weather forecast has also encouraged people to stay, as has uncertainty over jobs. Swine flu has not helped either.

I believe though that people will find that holidaying in the U.K. especially with a family, will prove a more expensive option than people think. Entertainment, Food and Travel are all expensive in the U.K. and some accommodation standards and levels of service need to be improved. In some ways it is fashionable to stay at home this year but I do not feel that sentiment will last unless we have a great summer weather-wise. As you say SCD, there is nowhere to beat Kintyre when we have weather like this past week's.
TYM
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Sweltered » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:30 pm

Will I need to put the kettle on?

bill wrote:

No doubt you have heard the old saying Davie"there's nae pockets in a shroud",well the older you get the more you come to realise the truth of it,and you are not going to take it with you,so might as well enjoy it while you're able.

Bobbie En Tejas wrote:Bill, where you going in the states?? With the price of the dollar right now, you should be living like a king while you are here.

Florida again Bobbie,been 6 times previously and find Oct./Nov. an ideal time to be there.The weather is perfect,no queues at the parks,and the roads are relatively quiet.
Looking forward to the new Simpson's ride at Universal. 8)
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Travel