Ugadale Hotel Re-opens...Public Open Day Sunday 26th

Do you or your organisation have an event in Kintyre coming up? Then why not post information on ANY local event here? Kintyre Forum members can discuss and keep up to date on the latest information.

Ugadale Hotel Re-opens...Public Open Day Sunday 26th

Postby jowett63 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:39 pm

I was out at Machrihanish last Sunday and saw that the refurbishment of the long time derelict Ugadale Hotel was complete. It was fantastic to see the lovely old building back to its best and looking so attractive. The landscaping really sets the building off and it will be amazing in the summer with the sun on the new white harling.

I see from the Courier that they are having an open house this Sunday afternoon. I will certainly be having a look to see if the interior is as handsome as the exterior and to check out the bar and restuarant, to see if it is worth joining the charitable Kintyre Club to get in :)

It is grand to see the building saved for the next 100 years and I hope it is a big success. The residents of the village must be delighted to see it resurrected.
jowett63
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: Ugadale Hotel Re-opens...Public Open Day Sunday 26th

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:30 pm

Yes, was meaning to post something and planned to get a few photos of the Royal today (but was too wet) to highlight both. Plan to get some photos this weekend and post these.

Great news for the area and the Ugadale looks particuarly stunning. ONly image we have so far is

If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:29 am

The local residents of Machrihanish received a special invite to a pre-open day viewing tomorrow before the official ribbon cutting opening on Saturday which I thought was a nice gesture . My mum is the oldest living resident still living in Machrihanish and worked in the Ugadale in it's hey day over 60 years ago so she is really looking forward to seeing it resurrected to it's former glory . It is a huge asset to Machrihanish and the area and looks amazing from the outside and I believe even more amazing on the inside .

On behalf of the residents of Machrihanish we wish the Ugadale and the Royal Hotel every success for the future .
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Pans Lass wrote:The local residents of Machrihanish received a special invite to a pre-open day viewing tomorrow before the official ribbon cutting opening on Saturday which I thought was a nice gesture . My mum is the oldest living resident still living in Machrihanish and worked in the Ugadale in it's hey day over 60 years ago so she is really looking forward to seeing it resurrected to it's former glory . It is a huge asset to Machrihanish and the area and looks amazing from the outside and I believe even more amazing on the inside .

On behalf of the residents of Machrihanish we wish the Ugadale and the Royal Hotel every success for the future .

That is really nice to hear, Pans Lass. As I see it, it's more than a nice gesture - it's a real social responsibility for a major establishment, and shows respect for the local people.

I hope your mum enjoys the experience - it will be quite emotional, I reckon. All the best to everyone in the village - a new chapter for the community.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Pans Lass » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:06 am

That is really nice to hear, Pans Lass. As I see it, it's more than a nice gesture - it's a real social responsibility for a major establishment, and shows respect for the local people.

I hope your mum enjoys the experience - it will be quite emotional, I reckon. All the best to everyone in the village - a new chapter for the community.[/quote]

Absolutely Mary it was more than a nice gesture and mum really enjoyed the experience, very poignant indeed , she shared quite a few stories while she was there :D
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jowett63 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:23 am

I was at the official opening of the Ugadale yesterday and it was a great occasion. They have done an exceptional job refurbishing the old hotel and everything from the bar/restaurant to the sumptuous rooms and spa and gym sings quality. The decor is very appropriate to the building and has a nice balance of modern features such as the individual tellies in each booth in the Kintyre Club and old world charm. My only criticism is the use of cod reproduction scottish art to try and give the period feel. We have many excellent local artists (Togneri, Berry, MacIver etc.) whose works would look a treat in there. I also wonder if the Campbeltown Museum has works in storage that could be on temporary display here instead?

The public open day is this afternoon and it is well worth the effort to go.
jowett63
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby bill » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:48 pm

Certainly good news that The Ugadale is open for business,though at £185 for one night B&B in June I think I'll give it a miss.

Panslass,maybe your Mum and my Sister worked together.My Sister worked there in the late Fifties.

I remember it as one of our delivery stops when I was on the Dunsade lorry with Charlie Morrison and Ian Forshaw.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jowett63 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Well Bill it ain't cheap compared to a B&B in Blackpool, but the Ugadale provides a lavish 4star+ level of accomodation and believe me the views from the front and side facing rooms are just gobsmackingly fine. I had a quick look at other 4star golf related hotels such as the Crerar ones and the ones at St.Andrews and they start at £200. Gleneagles is 5star but starts at £385 and all you look out on is a bit of mouldy perthshire farmland. Having seen the standard of the accomodation yesterday I think it keenly priced and the current deal of a second night for £20 is great.

My favourite moment from yesterday though was looking across to the Ugadale from the bar of the Old Clubhouse and seeing all the rooms ablaze with light and life again.
jowett63
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby bill » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:55 pm

Well jowlett never having been to Blackpool I wouldn't know.

The £185 per night for the Ugadale was priced for a booking 1/06/2012.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Han_OH » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:42 pm

jowett63 wrote:I will certainly be having a look to see if the interior is as handsome as the exterior and to check out the bar and restuarant, to see if it is worth joining the charitable Kintyre Club to get in :)

I attended the open day today and was very impressed by the hotel. It's beautiful inside and out and it's lovely to see it looking so much better. Having only ever known it in its dilapidated state, I was excited to get a chance to see it completely refurbished. And as a Kintyre local, I was particularly interested in seeing the bar/restaurant, as it's the service I would use most often. I understand that it's only available to hotel patrons and 'Kintyre Club' members so, like Jowett, thought the open day would be the ideal opportunity to see the bar/restaurant and decide if I wished to become a member. However, we weren't even allowed to look into the restaurant today without first showing proof of our subscription. So although I know the hotel is beautiful, and the rooms and views are stunning, I doubt I will ever stay in a hotel a few miles down the road from my house. I am disappointed, however, that I still have no idea what the menu is like, and therefore cannot dine in the restaurant and help to support the Ugadale.
Last edited by Han_OH on Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hannah
Han_OH
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Pans Lass » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:04 pm

Han_OH wrote:
jowett63 wrote:I will certainly be having a look to see if the interior is as handsome as the exterior and to check out the bar and restuarant, to see if it is worth joining the charitable Kintyre Club to get in :)
And as a Kintyre local, I was particularly interested in seeing the bar/restaurant, as its the service I would use most often. I understand that its only available to hotel patrons and 'Kintyre Club' members so, like Jowett, thought the open day would be the ideal opportunity to see the bar/restaurant and decide if I wished to become a member. However, we weren't even allowed to look into the restaurant today without first showing proof of our subscription. So although I know the hotel is beautiful, and the rooms and views are stunning, I doubt I will ever stay in a hotel a few miles down the road from my house. I am disappointed, however, that I still have no idea what the menu is like, and therefore cannot dine in the restaurant and help to support the Ugadale.

Hannah don't be disappointed as I am sure you will be able to see the bar/restaurant before joining the Kintyre Club . Today was an open day for the public and yes you would think they would allow you to have a look in but they had people booked in for meals and had to control the crowds from just wandering in while people were eating . I was fortunate to be invited to the Grand opening yesterday so was able to become a member of the Kintyre Club and eat in the place this evening . The bar/restaurant is of the same high standard as the rest of the hotel so believe me you won't be disappointed when you see it and worth the £10 a year fee which all goes to charity . Our meal this evening was first-class and beautifully presented so could not fault it . The Sunday special menu(which we had) is reasonable priced however the evening menu is a bit pricey but nice for a special occasion. I am just delighted to see the hotel restored to it's former glory and be able to support it's success .
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:10 pm

bill wrote:Certainly good news that The Ugadale is open for business,though at £185 for one night B&B in June I think I'll give it a miss.

Panslass,maybe your Mum and my Sister worked together.My Sister worked there in the late Fifties.

I remember it as one of our delivery stops when I was on the Dunsade lorry with Charlie Morrison and Ian Forshaw.

Bill , my mum worked in the Ugadale in the 50's and then left there to ironically work in the Royal Hotel in the early 60's. Can you tell me your sister name ?
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Han_OH » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:34 pm

Pans Lass wrote:Hannah don't be disappointed as I am sure you will be able to see the bar/restaurant before joining the Kintyre Club . Today was an open day for the public and yes you would think they would allow you to have a look in but they had people booked in for meals and had to control the crowds from just wandering in while people were eating . I was fortunate to be invited to the Grand opening yesterday so was able to become a member of the Kintyre Club and eat in the place this evening . The bar/restaurant is of the same high standard as the rest of the hotel so believe me you won't be disappointed when you see it and worth the £10 a year fee which all goes to charity . Our meal this evening was first-class and beautifully presented so could not fault it . The Sunday special menu(which we had) is reasonable priced however the evening menu is a bit pricey but nice for a special occasion. I am just delighted to see the hotel restored to it's former glory and be able to support it's success .

That's the thing, though, I probably won't get to see it again, as I am not in Machrihanish all that often. I would have thought that the open day would have been THE opportunity for most people to get a look. And I do understand that they couldn't have had the public wandering around while diners were in, but had I been organising it, I wouldn't have had people booked in on that day; the open day would have been a chance for everybody to have a good look at everything. But, as I said, the rest is lovely, and I wish everyone at the Ugadale all the success in the world.
Hannah
Han_OH
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby WC1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:30 pm

I'm told that over 1300 people visited on Sunday. It was certainly difficult to drive through the village during the afternoon!
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Pans Lass » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:44 pm

WC1 wrote:I'm told that over 1300 people visited on Sunday. It was certainly difficult to drive through the village during the afternoon!

That was the figure I was quoted too WC1 by a member of staff , impressive indeed, they expected around 300 , so they were overwhelmed by the numbers attended . I have never seen Machrihanish so busy , long may it continue.

Hannah I agree they should have kept Sunday free too however as it was officially opened on the Saturday , then it was open for business. All I can say it's worth joining ! :D
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local Events