Live events screened at Picture House

Do you or your organisation have an event in Kintyre coming up? Then why not post information on ANY local event here? Kintyre Forum members can discuss and keep up to date on the latest information.

Live events screened at Picture House

Postby PictureHouse » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:09 pm

***LIVE EVENTS AT THE PICTURE HOUSE***
We are working hard to bring you some big shows from Broadway, The Royal Opera House, The RSC, Andre Rieu and The National Theatre. Read below and please give us some feedback.
The shows are screened live from the venues via satellite and are not available at home or on DVD. The description is that it is not like cinema and not like being at the venue, but an alternative and exciting experience, as you get to go behind the curtain pre-show and post-show and see the cast and crew!
We are looking for feedback from you – positive or otherwise – as we try to develop this new programme of events.
The shows we are aiming to book in (none are fully confirmed as yet) are:
Broadway's Romeo & Juliet filmed live at the Richard Rogers Theatre - Tuesday, 15 April 2014
The British Museum Live: Vikings - Thursday 24 April 2014 at 19:00
The Royal Ballet Live: Wheeldon THE WINTER’S TALE - Monday, 28 April 2014 at 19:15
NT Live: King Lear 12A – Thursday 1st May at 19.00
RSC: Henry IV Part I : Live on Wednesday 14 May 2014 at 7.00pm (Duration : 180 min)
NT Live: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (15) - Thursday 22 May, 2014 at 7pm
NT Live: A Small Family Business 12A - Thursday 12 June at 7.00pm
RSC: Henry IV Part II : Live - Wednesday 18 June 2014 at 7.00pm (Duration : 180 min)
Royal Opera House Live: MANON LESCAUT – Tuesday 24th June at 18.45
André Rieu's 2014 Maastricht Concert – Saturday 19th July at 19.00
RSC: The Two Gentlemen of Verona : Live - Wednesday 3 September 2014 at 19.00
NT Live: Love's Labour Lost - Wednesday, 11 February 2015 at 19:00
NT Live: Love's Labour Won - Wednesday, 4 March 2015 at 19:00
PictureHouse
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: Live events screened at Picture House

Postby jingscrivens » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:26 am

Great start. Out of the list, the one that really appeals to me is the one from the British Museum, the Viking exhibition.

I'd say there is a bit of an emphasis on Shakespeare. Now, I never did Shakespeare at school, never seen a play, so maybe on paper that makes me a prime candidate to come along and catch up. But it just doesn't interest me. I might come along on principle, just to give it a go though.

I'd be keen to see news / politics covered, say if there turn out to be any live debates in the run up to the Referendum.
jingscrivens
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby PictureHouse » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:57 am

jingscrivens wrote:Great start. Out of the list, the one that really appeals to me is the one from the British Museum, the Viking exhibition.

I'd say there is a bit of an emphasis on Shakespeare. Now, I never did Shakespeare at school, never seen a play, so maybe on paper that makes me a prime candidate to come along and catch up. But it just doesn't interest me. I might come along on principle, just to give it a go though.

I'd be keen to see news / politics covered, say if there turn out to be any live debates in the run up to the Referendum.

Thanks for feed back. Useful. This all new to many of us so we need all the direction we can get. rob arthur, Thurso cinemas is advising and has lots of knowledge so should provide good initial direction. He too is keen to hear local feedback so that choices fit in with local interests. Thanks
PictureHouse
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Stebyr » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:54 pm

If you are able to have the Andre Rieu concert I will certainly attend
Stebyr
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby WC1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Great to see this happening at last, but why is it almost all theatre? Out of 13 events, only one opera on the music side (I'm not counting Andre Rieu). Disappointing!
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby adoptedscot » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:33 pm

The Andre Rieu screening will probably attract more people than any of the others and that can only be a good thing.
adoptedscot
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby WC1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:47 pm

Fully expect it to be packed out!!
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

First satellite screening: Romeo and Juliet

Postby PictureHouse » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:24 pm

Thanks for all the replies above. It helps in the booking process. Our very first screening will be Tuesday 15 April at 19.00. We hope you will all be there in numbers.
*****First Satellite Screening!*******
We will stage our FIRST alternative content screening on Tuesday 15 April at 19.00 ; filmed live on Broadway "Romeo and Juliet" will be linked by satellite to Campbeltown Picture House. Make sure you book your seat!
Filmed live on Broadway and starring the British actor Orlando Bloom (Pirates of the Caribbean, The Lord of the Rings) and two-time Tony Award nominee Condola Rashad, this dazzling new production of Romeo and Juliet is a modern take on one of Shakespeare’s best-loved plays. -
See more at: http://www.romeoandjulietcinema.com/#st ... eVBzF.dpuf
PictureHouse
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby howlsatthemoon » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:34 pm

WC1 wrote:Great to see this happening at last, but why is it almost all theatre? Out of 13 events, only one opera on the music side (I'm not counting Andre Rieu). Disappointing!

WC1 wrote:Fully expect it to be packed out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIQPkCR4E6k
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself
howlsatthemoon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby WC1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:19 pm

Not sure what's negative about expecting the Andre Rieu concert to be packed out. As for my other comment, it was an accurate description of what's listed. It IS almost all theatre - 10 out of 13 events. Now, I used to go to the theatre a lot when I lived in Glasgow, never missed the National Theatre's regular seasons at the Theatre Royal, and I've been to the RSC both at Stratford and in London. I will probably be at most if not all of the performances listed. Will you, howlsatthemoon, whoever you are? I was simply suggesting that there might have been a bit more opera in there, which I also love, and for me personally that's a disappointment. The new man at the Picture House, whom I've met and was impressed by, did ask for comments:-

please give us some feedback

Well, I've given my feedback. It's great to see this happening. I will actively support it by attending most if not all of the performances. But it would have been good to see a more balanced programme. Negative? I don't think so.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Stebyr » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:16 pm

Any indication of the prices for the various events?
Stebyr
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby WC1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:14 pm

I understand it's £10 for the stalls and £12 for the balcony. These prices are set by the organisation providing the live link. Good value considering what you'd pay for these events at the venues themselves. Seats for Manon Lescaut at Covent Garden, showing at the Picture House in June, range from £60 to £250. Cheapest for Andre Rieu at the Hydro in Glasgow next December is £40 (I see the top price seats (£90) are sold out already).
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby elainemck » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:15 am

All sounds good, great ideas! Will there be other concerts or sporting events? Opening ceremony for commonwealth? Wimbledom final ;-)
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Stebyr » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:52 pm

I spoke to someone today about the possible programme and they were not aware of the plans as they don't have a computer. Could the word be spread using other formats?
Stebyr
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby WC1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:49 pm

I'm sure someone more closely connected with the cinema will pick up the previous points. The programme is advertised in the Courier every Friday and on Argyll FM, there are handbills in a number of shops, and there's a display stand outside George McMillan's shop in Main Street, not forgetting the displays outside the cinema itself.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Next

Return to Local Events