The Road to Drumleman screenings

Once the event has passed we will move your thread in here where the thread can still be read and members can still post.

The Road to Drumleman screenings

Postby nimps » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:01 pm

Not quite local but nearly!
The Road to Drumleman: Memories of the Argyll Colliery
A film by Jan Nimmo

Screening at Document 8 International Human Rights Documentary Film Festival
Centre for Contemporary Arts (CCA) 350 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow G2 3JD. Tel: +44 (0)141 352 4900
31st October 2010, 4.45 pm - 6 pm

http://documentfilmfestival.org/program ... 31-october

There will be a community screening in Machrihanish Village Hall in November - for further info contact jan@greengold.org.uk

The Road to Drumleman tells the story of Kintyre’s last coal mine, The Argyll Colliery (1947–1967). Almost no physical traces of the mine remain and now it is hard to imagine that the well run mine thrived just behind spectacular Machrihanish Bay.

When artist, Jan Nimmo’s father and former Argyll Colliery shot firer, Neil Nimmo, died, Jan realised that there was an urgency to gather the stories of the remaining miners. Through their personal narrative the film gives an insight into working life, its hardships and camaraderie. The stories span the life of the mine and pay tribute to all of the men who worked invisibly beneath the wild and unspoilt shores of western Kintyre.

The Road to Drumleman is a tribute to the miners of the Argyll Colliery and the rich oral history of a hidden Scotland. Not just Kintyre but the whole country is enriched by this moving, witty, compassionate landmark film”. Writer and poet, Gerry Loose
nimps
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Archived events