Cattle dealer in Campbletown 1815 - 1853

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Cattle dealer in Campbletown 1815 - 1853

Postby lindaf » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:48 pm

William Gardner, brother in law of my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather Matthew Clark is recorded on C1851 [spelt Gardiner] as a Cattle Dealer living in Argyll Street. Does anyone know where the cattle market was in Campbeltown at that time. I can't see it on any old maps.
William had married Janet Clark in 1815 and she erected his headstone spelt as Gardiner in 1853 in Kilkerran B.G. The memorial to Janet Clark is next to it, erected by their son Capt William Gardiner, both against the wall to the right up from the entrance.
Thanks!
lindaf
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: Cattle dealer in Campbletown 1815 - 1853

Postby Iain » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:51 pm

Hi... If you use Google you'll find dozens of Campbeltown sites referring to farming...
https://campbeltownheritagecentre.co.uk ... o/farming/

My McArthur family had 4 generations of butchers. In the 1950's, one of them had a pig farm behind Low Askomill Walk. In the meantime, one of them kept a pig in the attic in 'Wide Close,' just off Longrow. Lol..., you can imagin the filth along the road when the the room was needed to be cleared out.

Like where I live in Belgium (a small village near Waterloo) walls everywhere can be seen with rusty rings to attach cattle.

In the meantime, I'd be inclined to look near the Loch. 'Import/export' from the mainland.

Good luck..., Iain.
Attachments
Wide Close 2.jpg
Wide Close 2.jpg (51.68 KiB) Viewed 6119 times
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby lindaf » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:09 pm

Hi Iain Thanks for your suggestions and great story about the pigs! Having searched down various avenues, it was Angus Martin who kindly pointed me in the right direction about the cattle market in Campbeltown. I had begun my searches with info from a pair of headstones in Kilkerran Cemetery: Janet Clark [sister of my x3 Gt Grandfather Matthew Clark, a Wright] who married William Gardner [later spelt Gardiner] in 1815. He was the Cattle Dealer, given as such on C1851. He died 1853 age 64. Their son was Captain William Gardiner b.1825 d.1903 and it was in his obituary in the Campbeltown Courier that gave his father had been employed by the Duke of Argyll. In 1910 the Campbeltown Courier advertised the Auction Mart being held every week in Kinlock Road and the Slaughter House is marked on 1899 O.S. Map in Roadings. It is quite likely both were in same position in earlier time. By the late 1950's /early 1960s the Market had moved to Glengyle Road. That had been confirmed by the Guide at Springbank Distillery when on one of their Tours!
If anyone has any other info on this, please do let me know! Many thanks, Linda.
lindaf
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Iain » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:42 pm

:wink:
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Kintyre Genealogy