The Ryburns in Kintyre

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

The Ryburns in Kintyre

Postby RodRyburn » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:59 am

My my name is Roderick James Ryburn and my great grandfather, Robert McNair Ryburn, departed from Gartvaigh, near Southend, for Auckland, New Zealand, in 1859. Although I was born in Dunedin, NZ, I and most of my family now live in Australia -- to be precise, Canberra for me and my wife.

My earliest ancestors in Kintyre were John Ryburn and Janet Jameison, who were in Backs Farm by 1659. John was a tacksman in 1666, and is mentioned in Andrew McKerral's excellent book "Kintyre in the 17th Century". I recently found his Testamnet Dative on ScotlandsPeople website -- he died at Uigle in 1705 and his son Mathew of Killeonan was the executor. Mathew was probably my g X 5 grandfather. In later years my ancestors inhabited several farms in and around Drumlemble. My Gx2 grandfather was a baker on Main Street in Campbeltown, probably at the same site as H McIlcherie & Son today.

Enough of dry old genealogy. You can see it all on my website "The History of the Ryburns" at http://www.netspeed.com.au/rryburn/Kintyre.html, including the mob in Ayrshire before they came to Kintyre.

Rod Ryburn
RodRyburn
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: The Ryburns in Kintyre

Postby Iain » Mon May 28, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi Rod ! If you already have the details below, I’ve no need to update you. If you don’t, just let me know !

Robert McNair Ryburn
Birth 18 Dec 1838
Death 27 Jun 1902 in New Zealand
Marriage to Sophia Middleton Hamilton 1860 in Panmure Auckland.
Son Allan McNair Ryburn 1865-1945 aged 80 at Te Puke, New Zealand. (two children Agnes and Donald)
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: The Ryburns in Kintyre

Postby RodRyburn » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:40 am

Robert McNair Ryburn was my great grandfather, who arrived in Auckland, NZ, in 1859. There are now over 200 Ryburns in New Zealand. See "The History of the Ryburns" at http://www.netspeed.com.au/rryburn/default.htm
RodRyburn
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy