McMurchy/MacMurchy/McMurchie & Malloy/Milloy Help :)

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Re: McMurchy/MacMurchy/McMurchie & Malloy/Milloy Help :)

Postby Labruin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi BA

Thanks for this, useful to know and might come in handy. Looks like via the upload attachment tab!

Being a bit slow I thought I would get email prompts about messages here but don't think it works that way.
Labruin
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby mcmillan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:01 am

Hi - also from Canada

I have been to the St. Andrew's Presbyterian cemetery in Vaughan a few times. I have some connections to the mcMurchys you mention. As per your earlier posts, James was married to Martha Malloy, but she died in 1840, but did have 11 children with James. Then in the same year, James re-married, to Mary McMillan (an ancestor of mine). I have several pictures of James and Mary and some of their children - very old, i am certainly willing to post them somewhere -- my mom didn't really understand how her family ended up with all of these pictures of the McMurchys. James McMurchys family gets confusing because James subsequently had another 11 children with Mary (including 2 sets of twins).

My mother was the family keeper of the old scottish folklore and we always said she was more scottish than the Scots. She recalled their family keeping in touch with the McMurchy's. When the earlier generation came over to Canada they were able to get land free or cheap in Ontario, but by the time the many McMurchy children were grown, this was over, so many of the children went to Manitoba, where land was available = at least that is what my mother told me. As a result, a lot settled out in Manitoba and my mother recalls visiting many of the McMurchys out there during the 1920s and 30s when her family had moved out to Saskatchewan. I would suggest two sites....someone at University of Calgary has a good list of James McMurchy's children (from both wives). http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~crwth/ge ... .html#I033

Also, if you would like to see a lot of the McMurchy gravestones from the Vaughan cemetery, some are posted:
http://www.canadianheadstones.com/on/ce ... D=542&pg=1

My interest in the Vaughan cemetery is more related to another individual - Jane Love (who married Alexander Armour in Campbelton). Jane was born in 1756 and didn't come to Canada until her early 70s, soon after Alexander died. She lived to be 96, dying in 1853. Her gravestone is shared with some of the Malloys as more than one of her children married Malloys. It is Jane's youngest daughter, Isabella Armour that married my great great grandfather, a McMillan and she moved to Greenbank, Ontario (about 50 miles east of Vaughan).

Looking forward to sharing information.

Elaine
mcmillan
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Murch » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:30 am

Elaine,

Good to see someone else has visited the Maple Cemetery! I visited Vaughn last month and took some photos of the headstones as it seems everyone in that cemetery is related :)

I'm interested in that James McMurchy, but it seems that you and I may be talking about two different people. The James McMurchy/Martha Malloy I'm talking about has a limestone headstone that indicates:

James McMurchy "a native of Argyleshire Scotland Died 19 Feb 1854 aged 48 yrs
(Same stone) Martha Malloy wife of James McMurchy died Feb 26 1848 aged 46 yrs

Then further in the back of the cemetery there is a black headstone for another James McMurchy (my goodness there was a lot of them it seems) that has him married to an "Agnes" and a "Mary Armour McMillan".

That one states:

James McMurchy died Jan 17, 1886 aged 84 yrs 11 mo native of Argyleshire Scotland
-----
Agnes - Wife of James McMurchy deid Aug 28 1841 Aged 36 Yrs
-----
Mary McMillan - Wife of James McMurchy died Oct 15, 1896 aged 76 yrs 9 mo

At the rear of the stone it states:

Agnes - Daughter of James and Mary McMurchy died May 12 1847 age 1 yr 4 mo
------
Rose - Daughter of James and Mary McMurchy died Mar 16 1918 aged 66 yrs

Side of the stone states:

Dougald - Son of James and Mary McMurchy died May 31 1890 aged 16 yrs 6 mo 5 days
-----
Archibald - Son of James and Mary McMurchy died Jan 19 1905 aged 60 yr 10 mo 20 days

With my James McMurchy passing away in 1854 according to that limestone marker, the children that are indicated on the UCalgary pages state that a majority of the children born to your James McMurchy couldn't have been mine due to the ages of the children as they were born after my James was deceased in 1854 (many of the kids were born in the 1860s). Perhaps an inaccuracy?

I contacted the St Andrew's Presbyterian Church historian in Maple ON a while back, and she is willing to go thru the archives at a cost, but I haven't been able to get back to her. It's a lead, just I haven't had the time to date to contact her.

That's what I have so far. My James McMurchy's kids were:

Isabella 1822-1900
Mary 1824-1840
Archibald 1826-1898
William 1828-1851
Elizabeth 1832-1867
James 1834-1852
Dugald 1836-1888
Martha 1838-
Mary Jane 1840 -

Does that help?
Murch
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Starry » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:04 pm

Hello,
This post is several years old so I don't know if you are still researching your McMurchy roots...

I am also from Canada and am a descendant of a McMurchy family from Killean parish who settled in Vaughan, ON. Perhaps there is a connection?

My McMurchys lived at the farm of Lenagboyach in Killean. An Archibald McMurchie (1738-1822), farmer at Lenag., had at least two sons, Thomas (1758-1849) and John (1774-1858). Archibald is buried at Killean parish, where Thomas and John erected a tombstone in his memory. Thomas and John married sisters Mary Blue and Grace Blue, and both couples raised their families at Lenag. In the 1820's Thomas and Mary and their children moved northward to Kilcalmonell parish while John and Grace apparently remained at Lenag. In 1840, Thomas, who was in his 80's at the time, along with Mary and their children and grandchildren, emigrated to Canada aboard the ship "Tay." They sailed to the port of New York, and the group then made their way from there to Ontario.

They settled mostly in what is now part of Vaughan. There is a small Presbyterian church (now privately owned) at the former settlement of Strange, ON, along Weston Rd, where Thomas and Mary and some of their sons are buried.

John McMurchy and Grace Blue emigrated to Canada a couple of years later, and settled in Elgin, ON.

I don't believe that your James was a son of Thomas and Mary or John and Grace, but I think there must be a connection of some sort!
Starry
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby cdawg47 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:22 am

Murch wrote:Elaine,

Good to see someone else has visited the Maple Cemetery! I visited Vaughn last month and took some photos of the headstones as it seems everyone in that cemetery is related :)

I'm interested in that James McMurchy, but it seems that you and I may be talking about two different people. The James McMurchy/Martha Malloy I'm talking about has a limestone headstone that indicates:

James McMurchy "a native of Argyleshire Scotland Died 19 Feb 1854 aged 48 yrs
(Same stone) Martha Malloy wife of James McMurchy died Feb 26 1848 aged 46 yrs

Then further in the back of the cemetery there is a black headstone for another James McMurchy (my goodness there was a lot of them it seems) that has him married to an "Agnes" and a "Mary Armour McMillan".

That one states:

James McMurchy died Jan 17, 1886 aged 84 yrs 11 mo native of Argyleshire Scotland
-----
Agnes - Wife of James McMurchy deid Aug 28 1841 Aged 36 Yrs
-----
Mary McMillan - Wife of James McMurchy died Oct 15, 1896 aged 76 yrs 9 mo

At the rear of the stone it states:

Agnes - Daughter of James and Mary McMurchy died May 12 1847 age 1 yr 4 mo
------
Rose - Daughter of James and Mary McMurchy died Mar 16 1918 aged 66 yrs

Side of the stone states:

Dougald - Son of James and Mary McMurchy died May 31 1890 aged 16 yrs 6 mo 5 days
-----
Archibald - Son of James and Mary McMurchy died Jan 19 1905 aged 60 yr 10 mo 20 days

With my James McMurchy passing away in 1854 according to that limestone marker, the children that are indicated on the UCalgary pages state that a majority of the children born to your James McMurchy couldn't have been mine due to the ages of the children as they were born after my James was deceased in 1854 (many of the kids were born in the 1860s). Perhaps an inaccuracy?

I contacted the St Andrew's Presbyterian Church historian in Maple ON a while back, and she is willing to go thru the archives at a cost, but I haven't been able to get back to her. It's a lead, just I haven't had the time to date to contact her.

That's what I have so far. My James McMurchy's kids were:

Isabella 1822-1900
Mary 1824-1840
Archibald 1826-1898
William 1828-1851
Elizabeth 1832-1867
James 1834-1852
Dugald 1836-1888
Martha 1838-
Mary Jane 1840 -

Does that help?

I have the same people in my McMurchy line
cdawg47
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Drhj » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:54 pm

gizmo wrote:Does anyone interested in the McMurchys know anything about Ex-Provost James McMurchy and his wife Mary Primrose or his son Ian who was killed in WW1.

James Colville McMurchy 1856-1924 married Mary Primrose 1859-1943, daughter of William Primrose, flour Miller, Glasgow, and his wife Annie Ure and the had at least 10 children. Mary Primrose's eldest brother was Sir John Ure Primrose 1848-1924, Lord Provost of Glasgow 1902-1905. 2nd Lt Ian McMurchy, 1897-1917, served in the Royal Flying Corps and was killed near Arras, France.
Drhj
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Previous

Return to Kintyre Genealogy