Colfine, Skipness

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Colfine, Skipness

Postby southernlass » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:31 pm

Just wanting to clarify where Colfine, Skipness is as references in the various censuses list people at South Colfine and North Colfine. Was it a cluster of houses for farm labourers or was it an actual farm. Appreciate it may be where there is a holiday home now but can someone help me with the local history of it? Thanks.
southernlass
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Colfine, Skipness

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:27 am

Realising now you make reference to the holiday home but I was going to post this link

http://www.visitkintyre.info/accommodat ... /index.htm
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Shona » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:50 pm

It was probably a 'ferm toon'. A collection of buildings which comprised the main farm and smaller single-storey buildings which housed the farm labourers and their families. Sometimes there were communal bothies which housed the unmarried male ag labs and female ag labs (in separate bothies, not together!). Quite often, the labourers were all part of a large extended family.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby southernlass » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:35 am

Thanks for that info . It does not look like there is much left of the buildings in that area - like my McCallums and McQuilkans - hard to find. Wendy
southernlass
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Shona » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Looking at the 1851 census, there are several families living at North Colfine and South Colfine. In addition to the usual ag labs, herdmen, etc, there was also a mason a South Colfine. There was a lot of migration around this time. I think some of the McQuilkans from the Skipness area ended up in New Zealand.

There are quite a lot of abandoned townships/'ferm toons' around Kintyre. While the ruinous walls can be seen in some cases, others have long gone. Stones could be used for rebuilding, to repair walls, construct sheep fanks.

I've visited many of the places where my ancestors lived which are now abandoned or shrunk in size.

If you are having probs tracking the McQuilkans, if you post more details, I'll have a go at trying to find the answers.

Some of the McQuilkans came to Kintyre from Antrim - I think they may have been a fishing family originally.

Btw - the name McQuilkan becomes Wilkinson/Wilkison.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:50 pm

I've been looking at the old maps of the area.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/

On the Roy maps of the mid-18th century, there are two clusters of houses at Cailfin. There are four buildings shown in each cluster. However, by the time of the first edition OS maps, it seems as if just one large farm building carries the name of Coalfin. In 1885, the large farm building looks much smaller.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jdcarra » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:40 pm

Shona wrote:I've been looking at the old maps of the area.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/

On the Roy maps of the mid-18th century, there are two clusters of houses at Cailfin. There are four buildings shown in each cluster. However, by the time of the first edition OS maps, it seems as if just one large farm building carries the name of Coalfin. In 1885, the large farm building looks much smaller.

Photo's taken 2007 http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/449675
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Kintyre Genealogy