Stewarts of Campbeltown

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Re: Stewarts of Campbeltown

Postby David Jackson » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:05 am

As I quote from the above article on Rev. Alexander, the only known officer James Stewart was no. 4 below, born 1794. Would he be too early for your James?

As for the Rev. Alexander's sons, the eldest of whom was just nine at his father's death, most went on to lead a military life. As far as I could determine, none of his descendants followed in his footsteps and chose an ecclesiastical career. A little more could be learned about his sons:
•(1) Robert Thomson Stewart, b. 6 June 1789, Lieu1. 28th Reg1. of Foot & at Waterloo in 1815. Married 1. Agnes Fish. 2. Harriet Campbell (c. 1791 - 26 July 1880). In 1851 Census residing with Harriet and daughter Jessie at Grassfield, Tarbert. Robert Thomson Stewart died 28 Jan. 1870, at Princes S1., Campbeltown (record 507 228).
•(2) Charles Stewart, b. 5 March 1791, said by family tradition to have been an 'officer in army and at Waterloo, 1815'; in Gortanane, Killean and Ki1chenzie, 1841 Census, where he is said to be 50 years old, Army, 71st.
•(3) Andrew Stewart, b. 9 Apr. 1792
•(4) James Stewart, b. 10 ApI. 1794, according to family tradition: 'an officer in army and at Waterloo, 1815'.

You can also download this old study of the Park Stewarts as pdf:

https://www.academia.edu/39877428/The_A ... _Oct_1938_
David Jackson
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby shumayes » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:45 pm

Thanks for your response. Yes, I fear that James is too early (by a generation). However I am going back through the entire tree from Archibald of Tangie and Drum downwards to see if it yields further clues as there are many sons whose history remains relatively scant and undocumented. I had seen the pdf you referenced online and it is helpful to read and cross-reference much that is on the web. I feel a bit cursed to be following the name "James Stewart" however.
shumayes
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby shumayes » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:53 pm

David

With reference to previous post, I am now looking more closely at James Stewart, child of Archibald STEWART born 1712 (brother of Andrew STEWART of Park). James appears to have been born in 1747 so a more fitting timeframe. I remain interested however in Andrew Stewart as Ancestry thrulines have yielded links through myself, other family members and a fourth cousin to three of Andrew’s children. I don’t suppose any descendants of Park Stewarts would be prepared to share Gedmatch details with me? If so, my own gednumber is RF4097840. However I have a suite of others who are older folk and likely better matches, so keen to exchange details if anyone is so minded. I can be contacted at shunamayes@btinternet.com
shumayes
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Donnie » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:57 am

The Rev. Alexander Stewart’s son James (1794-1863) was the governor of the general prison at Perth, Scotland. He had one son Alexander (1832-1861) who died from phthisic. He was not married and was a clerk in the prison when he died.
Donnie
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Previous

Return to Kintyre Genealogy