Clackbreak

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Clackbreak

Postby culikm » Mon May 12, 2014 4:40 am

One of my great grandmothers, Mary (McLean) Johnston, is listed in the 1841 Scottish census as living in South Knapdale with an address of "Clachbreak." Does anyone out there recognize this place name? I'm visiting Scotland in September and would like to visit some family sites if possible. Thanks for any help you can give me.
culikm
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Clackbreak

Postby skrik » Fri May 16, 2014 10:34 pm

Clachbreak could mean millstone or speckled stone; it could also be from Clach na Breugach meaning false stones or lying stones,meaning not symbolic of Christianity.
skrik
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Board Admin » Sun May 18, 2014 12:11 pm

It's a farm on the B8024 near Achahoish. It was part of Ormsary Estate when I worked there in the late 1970's and spelt Clachbreck.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Cla ... ecabaf5147

Hope that helps.
Board Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby scotincanada » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:37 pm

Hello,

I have JOHNSTON relatives that were in this area. My 4x great grandparents, HAMILTONs, came up from Lanarkshire about 1851. One daughter, Margaret, married a local man, Thomas JOHNSTON. The other daughter, Elizabeth, married John MCMILLAN and they are my 3x great grandparents. They and other relatives of mine were at Clachbreck, Crear, Tiretigan, Leragnahenshion, Ballyhourgan (excuse the spellings!) at various times. More to share about the JOHNSTONs if you like.

Mary in Canada, formerly of Tayvallich
scotincanada
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy