Campbeltown poorhouse registers

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Re: Campbeltown poorhouse registers

Postby calmac » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:30 pm

That sounds useful; please could you post a link?
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby blueboyno1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:59 am

calmac wrote:Does anyone have access to these or know where they can be found online?

Charles Mclean died 10th October 1903 at Poorhouse, Fisher Row.
His death certificate tells us that he was born in Ireland, but doesn't say where.
Ireland is quite a big place to search for someone, and the information is fragmented.
It is just possible that the poor house register would give more information.
Any ideas?

Thank you.

Could I ask why you are researching Charles Mclean
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby calmac » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:57 pm

BlueboyNo1 I have sent you a PM
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby MPR » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:30 pm

calmac wrote:That sounds useful; please could you post a link?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CountyAntrimGenealogy/
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby calmac » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:36 pm

I think the biggest obstacle is not having any idea which part of Ireland they came from. Some surnames occur together very commonly, so that is no help.

To make progress in ireland it seems you need to know the name of the townland.

I have started another thread about the family in case anyone can add anything.
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby pursebearer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:53 pm

The best source to find the birthplace is the death certificate. As in this case, it is not helpful, try the censuses; for a death in 1903, there's the 1901 census and previous censuses every 10 years. If you can find siblings, try their death certificates.
pursebearer
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby calmac » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:38 pm

These are all good ideas, but unfortunately I have drawn a blank so far. Every census I have found just shows Ireland for all family members, and no mention of siblings.

More recently, I wondered how they got to Antrim, and wonder if the most likely place of origin was Kintyre, and maybe not too far before 1785. That being so, I wondered if something like Kintyre rentals might just shed some light, but that would involve a lot of guesswork. Can anyone help?

Also, does anyone know if the custom in Kintyre was for affiliates to a clan to take the clan name instead of their own surname?

Or anything about how clan Mclean came to Kintyre?
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby lindaf » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:09 pm

Yes, that seems to have happened with my McConachy family who were at Ballygroggan Farm in 1758 recorded as Campbell on the Kintyre Leases. On the Duke of Argyll 1792 List of Inhabitants they were also recorded here as Campbell. But on the 1797 Horse Tax here they were McConachy and were always McConachy on these early marriage and baptism records. On early 1800 and thereafter Headstones at Kilkivan they were McConachy.
Linda
lindaf
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby calmac » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:12 am

That is interesting, although it doesn't make them any easier to find.

You may remember I have an ancestor who is sometimes Flora Duncan and sometimes Flora McConnachy.I recently found something about this name on the forum, so maybe a search will bring it up.

I don't seem to have the 1792 list of inhabitants, but think that Flora s father Archibald McConnachy may possibly be there. He is listed in 1841 census as resident at Tayachroman, Killean age 50 (but ages were rounded in this census). I would be interested to know who was resident there through time if anyone has any information.
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby John100 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:31 pm

MPR wrote:I have found some of my McGrath/McGraw ancestors on here. so if they wee from antrim may help. Its a facebook group
county antrim genealogy

Hello MPR,
My Second Great Grandmother Elizabeth McMaster b 1835 - d 1928 married a Hendry McGraw / McGrath in Dunoon in 1856 .He died in 1863 she then married my Second Great Grandfather Richard Carruthers Hughes b 1841 - d 1929 in Renfrew in 1867 .I think she had 3 children with Hendry and 4 with Richard, one who is my Great Grandmother Isabella Hughes b 1868 - d 1942 in Campbeltown . Are you related to me by any chance ?
I have started looking into my Campbeltown connections and would be interested to hear from you .
John100
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Previous

Return to Kintyre Genealogy