Searching for McQuilkan family in Kintyre.

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Searching for McQuilkan family in Kintyre.

Postby wilkowerro » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:18 am

Am hoping that someone might be able to help fill-in, confirm or otherwise, some family details.
I believe that my Great Grandfather was born in Kintyre.
He was born John McQuilkan in 1835 in Saddell Argyleshire. I believe that he was the 5th child of Angus and Elizabeth [nee Crawford] McQuilkan, who went on to have 11 children in total.
John appears in the 1841census as a child aged 6 residing with his parents and 6 siblings at what appears to be “Duchoranimore”, Saddell.
Thereafter John McQuilkan disappeared from the census records although his parents and the rest of their children appeared in subsequent census. John’s family were noted as residing variously at “Crossaig Skipness” and “North Crossaig”. His father Angus died at “Rockfield” and the notice of probate records Angus as being a “sometime farmer of Crossaig thereafter residing at Rockfield”.
John subsequently re-appeared as John Wilkinson when, on 22nd Feb. 1861, he married Jane Henderson in Glasgow. They went on to have 5 children in Glasgow before migrating to New Zealand aboard the ship “Conflict’ which departed London on 9th May 1874. John and Jane had 2 more children in New Zealand, the first born being John jnr who was my Grandfather.
After marrying in 1901 John jnr and his family subsequently moved to Australia around 1911/1912.
Although I have substantial records and oral evidence of the family in both New Zealand and Australia I know little about the Scottish connection. Any advice, suggestions or assistance in expanding on our knowledge of this family in Kintyre would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Wilkowerro
wilkowerro
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Searching for McQuilkan family in Kintyre.

Postby David Jackson » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:46 am

The McQuilkan family at Upper Barr
Dear Willko...

I am also descended from the same family. The McQuilkan in Upper Barr

Here is what I found out:

The name McQuilkan is an ancient Gaelic name found in the 1636 list of Kintyre inhabitants, and it is still well known in Kintyre today. Our McQuilkans, family of Angus McDonald's mother, Jean McCuilkan (McQuilkan) (b. ca. 1760–65) were weavers and lived at Upper Barr about 1/2 mile east of Barliadh, according to information received from Mr. I. McDonald. They are said to have recorded eight children in the Killean Old Parish Records. I suspect Jean was the daughter of an Alexander McQuilkan, since Alexander was the name of her second son. As will be seen immediately below, one of the sons of Neil McQuilkan (ca. 1725??–1791), late tenant in Ciubasdale, was named Alexander.
The only McQuilkan family gravestones I found in the Patchan Burial Ground near Glenbarr were:

Neil McQuilkan (ca. 1725??–1791), late tenant in Ciubasdale, d. 5 Feb. 1791, age 69?? (unclear). Erected by his sons Alexander and Malcolm McQuilkan. Also for Neil's son, their brother:
John McQuilkan (ca. 1780??–1813), d. 17 Feb. 1813, age 33?? (unclear).

Jean McQuilkan (ca. 1816–1820), dau. of Neil McQuilkan, smith, at Dunnamacklaa, and D. Gardner, his spouse, d. May 1820, age 4 years?? (unclear) MLDCCCXL [sic!]
David Jackson
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy