Looking for info on Henry Lang

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Looking for info on Henry Lang

Postby Rick Lang » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:05 pm

My name is Rick Lang. My 5X great grandfather is Henry Lang, born 1772 in Scotland. His wife, Agnes (maiden name unknown) was born in Scotland (about 1739). Henry and Agnus immigrated to American in 1802. Us records indicate that he and one other person (unknown) were naturalized on December 7, 1802 in Baltimore, Maryland, USA. They had three sons: John Lang, Sr. (1803-1880); William Lang (1805-unk); and Aaron Lang (1807-unk). In America, they settled in Cambria County, Pennsylvania, then later moved to Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania.

After the death of Agnes in about 1814, Henry married Mary McCauley on 11-18-1817 in Huntingdon County.

Henry died April 20, 1832 in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania.

My heritage follows the line of Henry's son, John Lang, Sr. I have most all the information for this portion of the family. I do not, however, have anything for Henry or Agnes prior to their arrival in America.

I understand through my research that the name O'Loynachan was changed to Lang, possible near the beginning of the 5th century. They later moved to Kintyre in the 1600s.

I don't have a lot of information, other than this. I am looking to find out more info on Agnes and Henry.

Can someone possibly assist? It would be greatly appreciated.
Rick Lang
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Looking for info on Henry Lang

Postby BeanyTheKid85 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:23 pm

Hi Rick, Eden Lang here.

Though I don't have any specific information regarding Henry Lang, I can confirm that us O'Loynachan's/Loynachan's/Lang's settled in Southend in Kintyre, Scotland when we first came from Ireland. The farthest back I can seem to go is 1756 - which takes me to Lachland or Lachan O'Loynachan married to Anne McPherson (1771). The problem from there is that all other info is obscured. There's a John O'Loynachan and a few others that may or may not be his siblings. I know that Peter Loynachan (my Great Great Grandfather 1852 to 1937) was the first to change his surname to Lang - on my side at least. His siblings and uncles who moved to the US and Canada kept their name, Loynachan (dropping the o in most cases) with a few changing it to Lang, also.
I know this isn't what you're looking for, but I am researching the name, also, and hope that something more comes out of it!
For fear of throwing you a curve ball I hesitate to include this, but, seemingly, our name derives from the surname: O'Luingeachain - descendant of Longachan - here's an extract from the annals of Ireland: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=_0d ... nd&f=false
If this is true we are from Tipperary, but I have also read we're from County Antrim.
Keep in touch, Eden.
BeanyTheKid85
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy