Duke of Argyll census 1779

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Duke of Argyll census 1779

Postby calmac » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:01 pm

I found a copy online, but am having trouble making sense of it. maybe it is incomplete for Kintyre?

Can anyone help with lookups, or give some pointers to decoding it.

thank you
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: Duke of Argyll census 1779

Postby Cynthia Moore » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:42 pm

I don’t know what the online version looks like but I have a couple of photocopied pages of the 1779 census from a book by the Scottish Record Society. Alas, while part of Argyll lists the names of tenants, the Kintyre peninsula does not. “Kintyre. List of families residing on His Grace The Duke of Argyll’s property in Kantyre, distinguishing into classes the number and condition of the men above 12 years of age who now constitute these families 1st September 1779.” The headings show each parish, then the farm. It then lists: families, Tacksmen, Tacksmen’s sons, Servants, Cottars, & Totals, then the total number of males over 12 in each category.

My pages cover the parishes of Kilcolmkiln, Kilblaan, Kilkivan, Kilkerran, Kilmichael & part of Kilchousland. I was able to confirm the location of my family here but originally had information from another source. If you know a farm name I could look it up.
Cynthia Moore
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy