Inhabitants of the Argyll Estate 1779

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Inhabitants of the Argyll Estate 1779

Postby boba44 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:18 pm

Thought I would post this in case anyone else is thinking of obtaining a copy of the 1779 census.
I have 17 families living in the Campbeltown area in 1779 and downloaded the above from the Scottish Record Society website hoping to fill in a few gaps in my family tree but was most disappointed with the information in the census.
In the North of Argyll for each farm / settlement each inhabitant is named along with their ages but for the Kintyre area NO names or ages are given only the number of people occupying the farm, the result for me was that I gained no addition information about predecessors.
I'm now looking at the 1792 census or "List of inhabitants upon the Duke of Argyle's property in Kintyre in 1792" can anyone help me with this, does this report contain names and ages for the people around Campbeltown / Killean / Kinchenze? in other words is it a useful family history report?
Thanks in advance Robert
boba44
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Inhabitants of the Argyll Estate 1779

Postby lindaf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:35 pm

Robert
I've used the Reference Copy in Campbeltown Library of the 1792 Duke of Argyll's List of Inhabitants. For my family in Campbeltown itself and Ballygroggan Farm at Machrihanish I found full names and ages given.
The whole List gives full names and ages.
It has been exceedingly helpful for me.

I wasn't aware of the earlier 1779 census. Did you have to pay to download it from the Scottish Record Society website?

Linda
lindaf
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby boba44 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:27 pm

Thank you Linda I'll look to download a copy from the SRS. website.
The 1779 census costs £20 for the download and would be very useful for Inveraray, Oban, Tyree, Morvern, Mull, Icolmkiln, Torosay and Furness where all of the names and ages are recorded but for Kintyre (don't know exactly where Kintyre actually starts) only the number of occupants were recorded.
thanks again Robert.
boba44
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby calmac » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:17 pm

I have also been down this route. It is a pity that the 1779 census does not list names of inhabitants in full.
The 1792 census is quite expensive to buy. I wonder if someone has a copy who could look some names up for us???
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby lindaf » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:04 pm

Calmac
If you google Scottish Records Society, you will see that you can buy a Download of the 1792 Census for £15.
Linda
lindaf
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby calmac » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:58 am

Unemployed at the moment, so operating on a tight budget. someone on rootschat has done a lookup for me.
There was an Archibald McConachy age 6 at Largymore, parish of Kilchenzie, parents Alexander age 40 and Catherin Buie 38, brother Dugald 9. Takes you to a birth in Campbeltown on Scotland's people, in 1784 (excuse my maths).

Likely trail is:

Alexander born 1753 to Margaret McLarty/ Malcolm McConchie.

You might want to add something to the rootschat discussion in the hope that someone can help us to find a connection???
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Return to Kintyre Genealogy